xbox 360 windows media center won't connect wirelessly

Old March 22nd 09, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
oldguy99

Default xbox 360 windows media center won't connect wirelessly

Hi, 2 years ago bought a laptop with vista Home premium, and xbox360 was
automatically recognized. I set up nothing and it worked fine, and
wirelessly.
That laptop died and I got a new one, this time I had to set everything
up, for XP Media Center/xbox 360 and got it to work, but it will only
work if my laptop is wired, it won't work wirelesly. I still have Home
Premium, I think the new laptop is still Wireless G, so how can I get
Windows Media Center to work on the xbox 360 without having the laptop
wired to the router? The xbox360 is wired, not wireless, thanks for any
help!

--
oldguy99

Old July 9th 09, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Ancient Gamer

oldguy99;1203424 Wrote:
Hi, 2 years ago bought a laptop with vista Home premium, and xbox360 was
automatically recognized. I set up nothing and it worked fine, and
wirelessly.
That laptop died and I got a new one, this time I had to set everything
up, for XP Media Center/xbox 360 and got it to work, but it will only
work if my laptop is wired, it won't work wirelesly. I still have Home
Premium, I think the new laptop is still Wireless G, so how can I get
Windows Media Center to work on the xbox 360 without having the laptop
wired to the router? The xbox360 is wired, not wireless, thanks for any
help!

Yes oldguy, I have the same problem as well. My laptop running XP SP3
died. I have been streaming videos, music, and pictures, without the use
of Media Center for a couple of years now. I never had to do any port
forwarding, DMZ, etc. to get my XP laptop (that I bought at Wal-Mart in
2004!) to connect to my 360.

I replaced my old laptop with A Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965 with AMD
Atlon Dual Core QL-65 3GB Ram, and have Windows Firewall off and Comodo
Internet Suite installed. I have forwarded all the recommended ports
through both my router WRTG2 and Comodo firewall. I have disabled all of
my firewall and A/V and still can't connect.

Quite simply, if I plug the computer into the router, everything works
just fine. Media player 11, sharing to the 360 is set. ICS is off. As
soon as I unplug...absolutely zero connection. The PC can clearly see
the XBOX 360 in both MP 11 sharing section and in Network Magic Network
Map. I have full xbox live connectivity, and full internet connectivity
on my new laptop. But the 360 just flat out refuses to connect to
Windows Vista Home Premium via a wireless connection. Its as if
Microsoft deliberately coded Windows Vista Home Premium to not connect
wirelessly...even though it is a laptop.

What makes things even more frustrating is that my fiancees old XP SP3
laptop is recognized by the 360 as soon as it is fired up. And I am
using Comodo Internet Suite on her laptop, using the same router, with
absolutely ZERO modifications to the firewall a/v settings.

It is sad to say, but I feel as if Vista has completely let me down. It
is useless to me if it cannot do what its XP predecessor did better.

I don't even care about Media Center. I just want to stream the music,
videos, and pictures to my 360 like I used too.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem please let me know.

Does anyone know if Windows 7 has this same issue as well?

Thank You,
Seriously Frustrated Gamer of 35 Years and Windows user since 3.11

--
Ancient Gamer

Old January 5th 10, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
daveealex

Hey guys,

I hope you are still here. I have windows 7 ultimate and ....(drum
roll) IT DOES NOT CONNECT!!! With a cable it is almost seamless. With
the 79 euro wifi connector from microsoft, it does nothing but sit
there and laugh at me. Don't know what to do. I have been working on
this for 3 days, about 16 hours. I am so stumped. I hope someone can
help

--
daveealex
daveealex's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/171022.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old January 5th 10, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
daveealex[_2_]

david b.
some of us are actually serious about this.
For those who care...
i have places a call to Microsoft and lets all hold our breaths...the
guy who takes care of these problems will be back tomorrow. All I said
was: I have an xbox360 and windows 7 64 bit. If he calls I will be very
surprised. When he does I will let you all what happens. If we get it
worked out, I will post what I have found out.

daveealex

Old January 6th 10, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
David B.[_3_]

Yes some of us are, and those that are access Microsoft's news groups via
Microsoft's NNTP server, not via some clunky web forum (like tech arena and
egghead cafe) that leaches off of Microsoft's groups.

Old January 7th 10, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
daveealex[_3_]

After about an hour an 20 mins withe the xbox tech, we have resolved
nothing. He will call me back in about a week and see if there is
anything new. I will keep you posted if i get this working.

Old March 29th 10, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
beercity

Was there ever a solution to the above problem? I'm in a similiar
situation. I'm on Windows 7 Home premium... wired to the
gateway/router. xbox360 on wireless g to the gateway/router.
gateway/router is 2wire via ATT Uverse.

Per other help sites, I've config. MacAfee and opened all ports, even
disabled all firewalls and still no connection. error on the PC still
says 'extender not found'. not sure what I'm doing wrong... I'm
skeptical that my gateway/router is blocking something... but it shows
my home network as fully trusted between machines (pc and xbox360).

Any help is appreciated.

--
beercity
beercity's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/201725.htm