FAT 32 0r NTSF

Old March 23rd 09, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
user-1

Default FAT 32 0r NTSF

I want to back up my music files to a flash drive.
Is it better to convert the thumb drive to NTFS?

Thanks
Old March 23rd 09, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"user-1" wrote in message
I want to back up my music files to a flash drive.
Is it better to convert the thumb drive to NTFS?

Thanks

Depends on the file sizes of your music.

A little history:

NTFS drives default to an allocation unit size of 4096 bytes (can be changed
in the format of the drive but it is not recommended.) There is also
overhead (System Volume Information) associated with an NTFS formatted drive
that isn't as extensive in a FAT drive. NTFS drives allow many more files
in the root of the drive than FAT32.

FAT 32 drives have variable allocation unit sizes depending on the size of
the drive and each file stored will use a minimum of one unit to store the
file.

FAT drives have a file size limit of 4 GB but I would really doubt that you
would have any music files of that size. FAT drives do have a limit on the
number of files that can be stored in the Root of the drive and IIRC that is
512 files or folders. More than 512 files would need to be stored in
sub-folders off the root of the drive.

My recommendation and opinion:

Normally Flash drives (at least the ones less than 32 GB) are formatted by
the factory as FAT drives and probably should remain formatted that way.
The benefit of file NTFS security may be one reason to reformat them but
normally FAT32 drives function well as removable media and should remain
that way.

Old March 24th 09, 08:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
THE C. [MS MVP]

If your drive is over 4GB then use NTFS. If under 4GB then leave at the
default FAT32. Your tranfer limit at one time is 4GB in FAT32 anyways.
--
Computer/Software Expert

Charles Richmond
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Old March 24th 09, 09:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Just because this cowboy places a link to the MVP web page beneath his name
does ***NOT*** mean he is, in fact, an MVP.

All indications are that HE IS NOT

Until he posts a link to his official MVP profile do not believe his SELF
ENDORSEMENT

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

signature database 3956 (20090323) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3957 (20090324) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 24th 09, 10:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

THE C. [MS MVP] wrote:

If your drive is over 4GB then use NTFS. If under 4GB then leave at the
default FAT32. Your tranfer limit at one time is 4GB in FAT32 anyways.

Please post a link to your MVP profile.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old March 24th 09, 11:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

"Malke" wrote in message
THE C. [MS MVP] wrote:

If your drive is over 4GB then use NTFS. If under 4GB then leave at the
default FAT32. Your tranfer limit at one time is 4GB in FAT32 anyways.

Please post a link to your MVP profile.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

If the name showing in his posts is the name registered as a 'MICROSOFT
MVP', a search reveals that he is not what he claims

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old March 24th 09, 11:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

"user-1" wrote in message
I want to back up my music files to a flash drive.
Is it better to convert the thumb drive to NTFS?

Thanks

If you are only ever going to connect the flash drive to a computer running
Windows XP or higher, format it NTFS.

If there is a possibility that you will connect to a computer running Win
9x/ME, leave it as it is..

Old March 24th 09, 01:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Mike Hall - MVP wrote:

If the name showing in his posts is the name registered as a 'MICROSOFT
MVP', a search reveals that he is not what he claims

Yes, Mike. That's definitely my suspicion but I was trying to be polite to
the guy. He just continues to ignore requests to prove he's an MVP and goes
on to give bad advice. So I guess I'll continue to question his
truthfulness.

Malke

Old March 25th 09, 01:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter

Therein lies the rub....as the bard once said. I have an 8gb flash drive
and had it formatted NTFS but in order to use it to update the firmware on
my LCD TV I had to format it FAT32 would you believe! (Philips
47PFL7403D/F7 only accepts FAT USB drives according to the literature -
actually it's FAT32 in practice).
I suppose I should have just got myself any old cheap flash drive for the
purpose, but was trying to save a buck.
By the way, good luck getting the "The C" to admit who he really is.

Peter
Toronto, Canada.

Old March 25th 09, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

"user-1" wrote in message
I want to back up my music files to a flash drive.
Is it better to convert the thumb drive to NTFS?

Thanks

If you are only ever going to connect the flash drive to a computer
running Windows XP or higher, format it NTFS.

If there is a possibility that you will connect to a computer running Win
9x/ME, leave it as it is..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

My flash drive is formatted NTFS because I only ever connect to computers
which run XP or better.

Re C, a lost cause, methinks..