Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Folder Structure Puzzle

Old March 24th 09, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Griffin[_2_]

Default Folder Structure Puzzle

I've just imported my old Outlook Express Folder Store into Windows Mail
(Vista Business). I've got an extensive and complex folder structure so
I copied/dragged/dropped stuff into a new top level directory within
Windows Mail once it was all imported, creating some new sub-folders
along the way. I then deleted all the "Import Folders".

Finally I decided to export the new set up and all the messages in ther
new folders before picking up any new mail.

Checking the export, I discovered it is rubbish. The folders structure
is entirely different - it's hard to describe - it is sort of half the
old structure and half the new structure. Since the messages have silly
names now (eg. arbitrary alphanumeric instead of the subject as in OE)
it is impossible to tell what's what.

Alarmed by this, I next went to look at the actual Windows Mail store.
This does not reflect the changes I made inside Windows Mail either, ie.
the folder structure I see within WM has no "Imported Folder(2)"
"Imported Folder (3)" etc (correctly as I deleted them) but there they
are still showing up when I use Explorer to look at the actual "Store".
Some of the file names are also corrupted (eg. "Imported Folder(2)" has
become "Imported Fo b23". Some Folder names which I changed working
inside WM have the old name still in the Store too. It all just looks
crazy.

It was a lot of work, hours and hours, and within Windows Mail itself
it all appears to be exactly how I want it, so I am now anxious not to
make things worse trying to sort it out without a backup ! (which is
partly why I decided to take a backup as I'd noticed similar problems
along the way which then mysteriously corrected themselves when I shut
down and restarted Windows - and yes I have tried this again but it no
longer clears any of the problems).

It looks as if I might sort it by just working on Local Folders in the
actual Store within Explorer, tidying that up and renaming where the
names are corrupt but I am rather scared to do that without any backup.
Would it work or will I make it all worse?

Help!

--
Griffin

Old March 24th 09, 11:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

I suspect that the directory names being used by Winmail are aliases for the
actual folder names, so I wouldn't try renaming them within the message
store.

See also www.oehlep.com/WMUtil/ It might help to compact and repair the
message store database.

steve

Old March 14th 11, 02:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
nick mason

Export all folders from Windows Mail to Microsoft Outlook - this retains the structure of your folders you have in Windows Mail. Now export as a PST file from Outlook. Finally, import the PST file into a clean Windows Mail. Now your store folder will exactly resemble in explorer what you see in Windows Mail.

You can test this first using a secondary user account which generates a fresh instance of Windows Mail. Once satisfied you can then copy the store folder contents to your current user account and overwrite replace your seemingly disjointed email file structure.

On Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:19 AM Steve Cochran wrote:

See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

I suspect that the directory names being used by Winmail are aliases for the
actual folder names, so I wouldn't try renaming them within the message
store.

See also www.oehlep.com/WMUtil/ It might help to compact and repair the
message store database.

steve