PLEASE HELP! USB mouse wont work..

Old March 24th 09, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Luke4MVP

Default PLEASE HELP! USB mouse wont work..

I looked on this site and couldnt find an exact match on my problem..but
sorry in advance if this problem keeps coming up..

My USB mouse wont work..so ill give you the details on it and what ive
done.
-sony vaio laptop with vista
-all other USB devices work and are recognized
-mouse works fine on my brothers computer
-did a system restore
-reinstalled the drivers
-deleted INFCACHE1
-searched for updates and drivers manually in C:WINDOWS/WINSXS

my laptop also is constantly making that noise vista makes whenever it
detects a usb device..and its driving me crazy..ive already disabled the
"usb doesnt recognize device" popup already because that kept popping up
too

im sure ive forgotten other stuff ive done..but i feel like ive tried
everything..

any other suggestions? thanks

--
Luke4MVP
Luke4MVP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/84926.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old March 25th 09, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

"Luke4MVP" wrote in message

[...]

Mice will usually work, at least with basic functions, using the stock MS
mouse drivers but if you installed drivers written especially for the mouse
check that there are no known conflicts with the existing mouse/touchpad
drivers/utilities on the computer.

It sounds like the mouse, or other device, is continuously being re-detected
which suggests that either the power to it is intermittent or something is
interfering with the driver. Is the mouse connected to the laptop on its own
USB port or connected to a hub with other USB devices? Although a USB port
can (nominally) deliver 500mA to a single device, when a passive hub is
connected to that port those 500mA are shared among the ports on the hub.
That can cause issues if the total number of devices on the hub require more
power than is available. Some computers don't quite come up to the
500mA/port specification in the first place.

For example, my optical mouse requires 100mA. It coexists happily on a 4
port hub with an IR receiver that also requires 100 mA and a UPS and digital
camera dock that draw practically nil mA from the hub. On the other hand my
keyboard requires 500mA by itself so it can't be used with any other devices
on a non-powered hub. Neither can the webcam or USB WiFi adapter which also
require 500mA each. Some devices don't require quite as much power but they
will consume most of the available bandwidth of a USB port, at least while
they are operating. Devices like webcams, scanners and WiFi network adapters
or USB broadband modems are high bandwidth devices which can also be high
power consumption devices.

Old March 26th 09, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Luke4MVP[_2_]

its just connected to the USB port.

and it still makes that noise when nothing is plugged in at all..

have any steps i can take to checking the problem?

Old March 27th 09, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

"Luke4MVP" wrote in message

its just connected to the USB port.

and it still makes that noise when nothing is plugged in at all..

have any steps i can take to checking the problem?

--
Luke4MVP
Luke4MVP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/84926.htm
View this thread:
http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1147267.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

So the mouse apparently has nothing to do with the intermittent device
problem.

Download UVCView from Microsoft Downloads. When you run it the utility will
display the computer's USB ports and the devices that are connected to them.
If the problem device is on a USB port, or if it is a USB port, UVCView
should show it appearing and disappearing from the list of connected USB
devices as you hear the sounds. It may also give a clue as to what could be
wrong with your mouse from the details included in the Device Information
pane.

You can also look for errors or warning messages in the Windows Events
logs -- Administrative Tools - Event Viewer.

If the above does point to a specific device the first thing to try would be
reinstalling the drivers for that device.