Any chance my monitor will work with Vista?

Old March 27th 09, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pacinitaly

Default Any chance my monitor will work with Vista?

LVTravel;1002469 Wrote:
"pdsnickles" wrote in message news:#QZ9sDnrJHA.2368@xxxxxx
I have a Dell 1901FP Flat Panel Color Monitor.

I just bought a new HP computer using Vista Premium 64bit but am

debating
whether or not to keep it now that I see so many issues with 64bit

Vista.

I went to the Driver Download page at Dell for my monitor and it has

driver listed for download for XP but none for Vista. I guess that

means
they have no driver for Vista so it won't work, right? So there's NO

WAY I
can make the thing work with Vista 64bit right?

I need to know before I unpack the new computer because if my monitor

is
yet another thing that won't work with Vista (I already have a list

of
software that won't) then I may take the dang thing back and buy a

new XP
computer if I can find one somewhere.

I have spent the past 2 days looking at lists of software and

hardware
that may or may not work with Vista Premium, and it's going to cost

me
hundreds of dollars to replace all this stuff... and if I have to get

new monitor, well there's another $200-300 or so. Is it really worth

it to
add Vista or should I take this computer back before I take it out of

the
box and buy a new computer with XP and a lot of RAM so everything I

have
will keep working?

Post Originated from 'Windows Vista Forum'

(http://www.VistaForums.com) Vista Support Forums

If you had looked up the specifications for the Dell monitor either
on the
documentation you got with the monitor or on their web pages you
would have
found this information along with other specification information at
'Documentation'
(http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...P/en/specs.htm)

------

Resolution
Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 80 kHz (automatic)
Vertical scan range 56 Hz to 76 Hz (automatic)
Optimal preset resolution 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz
Highest preset resolution 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz
* Highest addressable resolution 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz

Connector type 15-pin D-subminiature, blue connector; DVI-D, white
connector
Signal cable type Analog: Detachable, D-sub, 15pin, shipped attached
to the
monitor
Digital: Detachable, DVI-D, Solid pins, shipped detached from the
monitor

------
The VGA monitor port on the image you sent in the second post is a
standard
VGA port which matches with the 15-pin D-subminiature.... above.

This is a standard resolution for 19 inch 4:3 aspect ratio monitors.
Your
new computer probably will display this resolution. What you may
experience
is that since your computer (and you didn't specify the model
anywhere so I
can't check it.) is a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor, when you hook up and
display to the 4:3 monitor there may be some minor distortion until
you set
the second monitor information in the video driver settings in
Control
panel.

My HP Pavilion DV6837cl model will display on my 4:3 monitor and also
my 4:3
projector without any issues at 1280 X 1024 resolution. I have Vista
32
Ultimate on the system but it worked also when I had the 64 bit
version of
Vista Ultimate on it.

Well written

--
pacinitaly
Old March 27th 09, 01:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pdsnickles[_2_]

Okay, in the meantime since I read these other responses, I did contact
HP. Note that their chat system does work 24 hours and they do not
require a serial number as Dell does. (Dell wanted $49.95 to answer my
question about their monitor because it is out of warranty.)

So anyway, the guy at HP told me that the 32bit vs. 64bit issue is not
an issue with monitors so it will work fine and probably will not even
ask for drivers.

So that is good news. I was beginning to become concerned because I am
finding a few things that are apparently not Vista compatible.

(By the way, the Vista upgrade advisor tool did not work for me. It
kept scanning or pretending to and I turned it off after 2 hours. But I
did try...)

So far I have found that Dreamweaver 3.0 will not work with Vista. So
they said at Adobe. It worked fine with XP even though I bought it for
Windows 98.

According to an MS site re Vista, Picasa may or may not work. I like
Picasa! But I'm sure I can live without it if I have to. Or they'll soon
have a compatible version if it is not currently compatible.

My Winrar 3.0 may work but according to their site, it does not list
the version I have as being Vista compatible and if I have to update it
ain't free.

Not sure yet about my Solveing MM Video Splitter.

Have not yet found info on Canon's ZoomBrowser for Canon camera but I
can probably use something else for free with Vista drivers to download
and adjust (crop, brighten, etc.) pix. My guess is that Canon probably
does now or will soon have Vista drivers for my camera, they're usually
pretty good.

So really, now that I know the monitor will work, so far Dreamweaver is
the only expensive thing I'll have to replace, but there are a few
others I will need to check.

Guess there is no harm in trying to load some software I have. If it
does not work it won't harm anything in trying to load it, right?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm fairly computer literate with XP but know
NOTHING of Vista and 64 bit vs. 32 bit though I guess I'll be learning.

XP had "compatibility mode" which allowed me to use Dreamweaver with
it. Vista has no such compatibility mode?

--
pdsnickles
Old March 27th 09, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pdsnickles[_2_]

pacinitaly;1002485 Wrote:
LVTravel;1002469 Wrote:
[...]

Just f.y.i., I did not send the image nor is that my computer. Someone
else sent that.

And as to the info on the Dell monitor you quoted above, even if I'd
found it, I, not being as knowledgeable as you, do not see how that says
it's okay with Vista.

But thanks for assuring me that it will indeed work with Vista!

--
pdsnickles
Old March 27th 09, 02:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Natéag[_2_]

It should (i do not dare say "will work", but I really expect it to.

"pdsnickles" a écrit dans le message de
I have a Dell 1901FP Flat Panel Color Monitor.

I just bought a new HP computer using Vista Premium 64bit but am debating
whether or not to keep it now that I see so many issues with 64bit Vista.

I went to the Driver Download page at Dell for my monitor and it has a
driver listed for download for XP but none for Vista. I guess that means
they have no driver for Vista so it won't work, right? So there's NO WAY I
can make the thing work with Vista 64bit right?

I need to know before I unpack the new computer because if my monitor is
yet another thing that won't work with Vista (I already have a list of
software that won't) then I may take the dang thing back and buy a new XP
computer if I can find one somewhere.

I have spent the past 2 days looking at lists of software and hardware
that may or may not work with Vista Premium, and it's going to cost me
hundreds of dollars to replace all this stuff... and if I have to get a

Old March 27th 09, 10:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TGL

quote: "pdsnickles" wrote

XP had "compatibility mode" which allowed me to use Dreamweaver with
it. Vista has no such compatibility mode?

Actually,Vista has "Program Compatibility Wizard". I could not find it
too easy on my computer-I had to actualy type it into Help and Support and
located it that way. I have never tried it,so,I don't know how well it
works.

Good Luck!

--
TGL
Old March 27th 09, 12:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

All PC monitors have a VGA connection and support the VGA spec which must be
35 years old and all versions of windows have a built In driver that meets
this spec so there is not driver to download
What is different it the resolutions that a particular PC monitor can
display.
The actual creation of the display for the standard driver is created by a
systems graphics card and it's drivers since it is what contains the actual
VGA output connection.
So the issue is: do the display drivers on your 64bit version of Vista
support the resolution over your systems VGA output that you want to use
with your monitor?
I am willing to bet that they do since many HP systems are now sold with
Vista 64 bit installed and without a monitor especially since you have a
fairly new flat panel monitor.

Old March 27th 09, 01:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

In any case it can be replaced for free by 7-Zip.

Winrar 3.0 does work on Vista.

Old March 27th 09, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

"TGL" wrote in message

quote: "pdsnickles" wrote

XP had "compatibility mode" which allowed me to use Dreamweaver with
it. Vista has no such compatibility mode?

Actually,Vista has "Program Compatibility Wizard". I could not find it
too easy on my computer-I had to actualy type it into Help and Support and
located it that way. I have never tried it,so,I don't know how well it
works.

Good Luck!

--
TGL

Vista has compatibility modes settings via file or shortcut Properties, same
as XP. Some older programs may still have other issues that make them
incompatible with Vista.