Any chance my monitor will work with Vista?

Old March 27th 09, 12:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pdsnickles

Default Any chance my monitor will work with Vista?

I have a Dell 1901FP Flat Panel Color Monitor.

I just bought a new HP computer using Vista Premium 64bit but am debating whether or not to keep it now that I see so many issues with 64bit Vista.

I went to the Driver Download page at Dell for my monitor and it has a driver listed for download for XP but none for Vista. I guess that means they have no driver for Vista so it won't work, right? So there's NO WAY I can make the thing work with Vista 64bit right?

I need to know before I unpack the new computer because if my monitor is yet another thing that won't work with Vista (I already have a list of software that won't) then I may take the dang thing back and buy a new XP computer if I can find one somewhere.

I have spent the past 2 days looking at lists of software and hardware that may or may not work with Vista Premium, and it's going to cost me hundreds of dollars to replace all this stuff... and if I have to get a new monitor, well there's another $200-300 or so. Is it really worth it to add Vista or should I take this computer back before I take it out of the box and buy a new computer with XP and a lot of RAM so everything I have will keep working?

Old March 27th 09, 12:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pacinitaly

pdsnickles;1002423 Wrote:
[...]

Post Originated from 'Windows Vista Forum' (http://www.VistaForums.com)
Vista Support Forums

I'm not 100% so don't open the box. but as long as there is a VGA port
on the back it should work.
My gateway laptop IS hooked up to a dell M780 monitor.

|Filename: Capture.JPG |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11202|

pacinitaly
Old March 27th 09, 12:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

"pdsnickles" wrote in message
[...]

Your monitor will work fine.. least of your problems..

What hardware and software do you have that will not work with Vista 64?

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old March 27th 09, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pdsnickles[_2_]

Thanks for that info.
I guess what confuses me is DELL doesn't have any drivers listed on
their site for this monitor.
I guess that could mean that it does not need one because it WILL work
as is...?

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out for SURE? I know I could
call Dell but I am short on $ and don't want to pay for tech support and
it's out of warranty.

I have a question posted on their forum but have not got a definitive
answer there, either.

Thanks for the info so far. I hope someone can give me a more
definitive answer or tell me how to find out.

Oh, and I DID run the Vista Upgrade Advisor on my XP machine and it's
been scanning for like an hour. I think it's not working... I'll give it
another hour before I kill it. I don't know what else to do, to find
out. I'd appreciate any ideas as whether or not I keep this machine and
set it up (hopefully) tomorrow depends on this issue. I don't want to
open the box unless I'm 99% sure my monitor will work with Vista 64bit
Premium.

--
pdsnickles
Old March 27th 09, 12:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pacinitaly

pdsnickles;1002434 Wrote:
[...]

Write down all the driver info from the dell monitor,
contact the place you got your new machine from and ask them if it will
work. ( get a name and ID if possible)
Or goto where you got it and have them hook up any VGA monitor to the
same machine you have and see if it works.

--
pacinitaly
Old March 27th 09, 12:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pacinitaly

not sure but do flat panel monitors have VGA hook up?

--
pacinitaly
Old March 27th 09, 01:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

I don't know why you think a monitor all of whose drivers are actually
contained within the operating system itself will not work in Vista 64 bit.
Unless you have 5-10 year old printer or scanners the odds are that
everything you have will work just fine in Vista 64 bit and possibly even
better then they will in Vista 32 bit. Also I am not aware of any 32bit
software that will not work in 64 bit Vista since software applications
that do not have specific hardware driver requirements all run in fine with
Vista 64 bit since there 32 code code runs fine in Vista 64.
I certainly would not recommend to anybody that they buy a new computer with
XP and do recommend that any new computer they buy comes with Vista 64 bit
installed. One of my neighbors was only to happy to have to replace their 8
year old slow printer with a new 4 way for printer for $80 when they got
their new Vista 64 bit computer.
Vista now comes with something like 12 million 32 bit and 64 bit hardware
drivers so the problems with hardware drivers at first release well over 2
years ago are no longer an issue.
It is true if you are still running old 16 bit Dos applications that they
might not run even in XP emulation mode which is an option in both Vista 32
or 64 bit.
I don't think you would buy s black and white TV or even a color TV that has
a CRT monitor instead of a flat screen monitor so you should be willing to
learn a few new things to have current most user friendly and cost
efficient products.

Old March 27th 09, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jake Marley

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:47:37 -0500, pacinitaly
wrote:

not sure but do flat panel monitors have VGA hook up?

You're actually giving advice in these groups???
Old March 27th 09, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

[...]

If you had looked up the specifications for the Dell monitor either on the
documentation you got with the monitor or on their web pages you would have
found this information along with other specification information at
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...P/en/specs.htm

------

Resolution
Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 80 kHz (automatic)
Vertical scan range 56 Hz to 76 Hz (automatic)
Optimal preset resolution 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz
Highest preset resolution 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz
* Highest addressable resolution 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz

Connector type 15-pin D-subminiature, blue connector; DVI-D, white connector
Signal cable type Analog: Detachable, D-sub, 15pin, shipped attached to the
monitor
Digital: Detachable, DVI-D, Solid pins, shipped detached from the monitor

------
The VGA monitor port on the image you sent in the second post is a standard
VGA port which matches with the 15-pin D-subminiature.... above.

This is a standard resolution for 19 inch 4:3 aspect ratio monitors. Your
new computer probably will display this resolution. What you may experience
is that since your computer (and you didn't specify the model anywhere so I
can't check it.) is a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor, when you hook up and
display to the 4:3 monitor there may be some minor distortion until you set
the second monitor information in the video driver settings in Control
panel.

My HP Pavilion DV6837cl model will display on my 4:3 monitor and also my 4:3
projector without any issues at 1280 X 1024 resolution. I have Vista 32
Ultimate on the system but it worked also when I had the 64 bit version of
Vista Ultimate on it.

Old March 27th 09, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pacinitaly

wrote:

not sure but do flat panel monitors have VGA hook up?

You're actually giving advice in these groups???

He got it :roflmao:

--
pacinitaly