Laptop speakers not working in windows.

Old March 29th 09, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cabz

Default Laptop speakers not working in windows.

I've got an Asus G1Sn laptop.

This problem just recently started, I can't think of anything I would
have done, changed or added for it to have happened.
My laptop speakers do not work in windows, they work post bios screen
but no where after windows loading. If i plug in speakers/headphones to
the audio out they work. Any thoughts?

--
cabz

Old March 29th 09, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cabz[_2_]

I checked, they are not muted. In my system tray there is usually an
icon that tells me when something is plugged into or unplugged from my
audio jacks, I think windows thinks there is always something plugged
into my audio out. I still get the info box pop up for the other two
ports there, mic and other.

Old April 13th 09, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mr_friese

I also have an Asus computer and have the exact same problem- the
speakers sound after booting when the Asus bios screen initially comes
up, but as soon as Vista starts to load, the internal speakers stop
working. Thus, it is clearly not an issue with the speakers or their
connection, and is more to do with Vista continuing to think that
headphones are being used.

Looks like an Asus problem, let me know if you find a solution because
it is really bothersome to not have sound!

--
mr_friese
mr_friese's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/89423.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 22nd 10, 06:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
gmarsh

I have the same problem. Again an ASUS. I checked all hardware
components and can get the speakers to make sounds before windows
launches. At first I thought the system thinks the head set is still
plugged in but I can't find a way to test this. My problem started after
a system update. I have the same problem on another machine .. not ASUS.
Both started around the same time.

ASUS site is useless and I can't find anything on MS.

--
gmarsh
gmarsh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/223124.htm

Old May 25th 10, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SloTek

The problem was hardware. My Laptop had a damaged/defective headphone
jack. There is a switch or sensor of some kind inside the headphone jack
that reports the presence of an inserted jack if one is plugged in. This
disables the speakers but only in Windows.

During POST the laptop has a pre-Windows splash screen with the Republic
of Gamers Logo and a sound is played before Windows loads. The speakers
work fine at that point every single bootup. After Windows is up and
running something reads the condition of the headphone jack and turns
off the speakers.

Asus suggested many things - none of which helped. Including inserting
and removing a headphone jack - trying to free the stuck condition with
a toothpick or other non-conductive object and when that failed, a
complete restore of the O/S which was a waste of time and wiped the hard
drive.

Before doing the restore I cloned the drive using the excellent Acronis
drive clone utility. When that failed to fix the problem and Asus
finally issued an RMA I took the notebook in just as it was after the
restore.

After they replaced the failed hardware. I was able to put everything
back exactly as it was by again using Acronis to clone the copy back
onto the original drive.

Now it is working perfectly.

So you can read all over where this happens. It may be a stuck switch
you can free by fiddling with the jack or blowing out with compressed
air but be careful about sticking anything into the opening. If you
break a toothpick or something inside that hole you could be screwed.

Good luck

--
SloTek
SloTek's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/210713.htm