Home Prem x64 SP2 RC1 wrong HD order

Old March 30th 09, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DarthNeo

Default Home Prem x64 SP2 RC1 wrong HD order

This is the second desktop computer I am putting together and installing
Vista on. I discovered that on both (different motherboards, CPUs, HDs)
Vista reverses HD order during install. I know exactly what HD is
connected to SATA socket 1 (socket 0 is for SATA DVD writer) and which is
connected to socket 3. BIOS shows them correctly as SCSI-0 and SCSI-1.
Yet Vista persistently calls the first HD Disk 1 and the second HD Disk 0.
Is that intentional or is that sloppy programming?

I have no IDE devices. On one desktop both drives are in AHCI mode, on
another - first drive is non-RAID and second is RAID 1 consisting of two
physical HDs. With the first desktop I blamed it on possibly myself
selecting wrong HD during install. But on the second desktop Vista would
not allow me to install on Disk 0 claiming that there are no volumes there
(I just created one and formatted it, for god's sake) and suggested Disk 1.
Then I looked at disk sizes and it became clear that disks are in wrong
order.

I unplugged the ones in RAID and am installing on the single HD now (which
is listed as Disk 0 now, obviously). I'll connect the RAIDed pair later
and see if Vista is able to boot. Just wanted to know if it's a "known"
issue (Google would not find anything but then may be I'm looking for wrong
terms).

DarthAcer
Old March 30th 09, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes[_2_]

Have you asked in your assigned Vista SP2 Beta newsgroup about this issue ??? That
is where you should be directing the SP2 Beta questions. RC1 is still a Beta and
many things can still change in there before it becomes Gold

--
Peter

. 97.131...

Old March 31st 09, 12:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DarthNeo

"Peter Foldes" wrote in
:

Have you asked in your assigned Vista SP2 Beta newsgroup about this
issue ??? That is where you should be directing the SP2 Beta
questions. RC1 is still a Beta and many things can still change in
there before it becomes Gold

Not yet as this did not seem to be a beta issue. I will report it there
though since it is indeed a bug: I put back RAID, booted, installed Intel
Matrix, which happily reports LITE-ON on port 0, non-RAID on port 1, RAID
on ports 2 and 3. Vista's disk manager shows RAID as Disk 0, non-RAID as
Disk 1. Clearly a bug.

Scanning this group though I noticed that there was at least one instance
where someone removed a "wrong disk" (as he explained later) while meaning
to remove a secondary disk. Sounds awfully similar to the disk order mixup
I am experiencing.

Going to beta group.