BIOS Sees the IDE HDD; Windows does not

Old March 31st 09, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Broken32

Default BIOS Sees the IDE HDD; Windows does not

Hi,
Currently I have 2 HDD. One SATA, with Vista on it, one IDE, with an
old XP copy on it. I am booting from the SATA HDD. Well the I have my
DVD Drive as the IDE Master, the HDD as the Slave (All I do on the IDE
HDD is recover files). Well BOIS sees all the drives, Configures
correctly (I think), but then I get into windows. It sees C: and D:
(Paritions on the SATA) but not the IDE Hard Drive. It sees the DVD RW
drive too.

It is an old Samsung 40GB HDD, 2-4 years old. Eh.

So, what's wrong? If I unplug the DVD Drive and set the Samsung as IDE
Master, It works fine. I can't set the HD as master and the DVD as slave
though; the ribbon doesn't bend that way.

Any help would be great.
More info on my build:

Ultra 650-LSP
Q6600
9500GT
nForce 610i/GeForce 7050
Hitachi 500GB SATA
Samsung 40GB IDE
TTS Corp DVD RW Drive - IDE

--
Broken32
Old March 31st 09, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Get a round IDE cable long enough to do what you need to do. There is
nothing stating that you need to use a flat ribbon cable.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old March 31st 09, 03:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"Broken32" wrote in message

[...]

May not be your issue but at one time HDDs (and apparently yours is an older
one) did not like to be slaved to master CD/DVD drives in the IDE system.
If you were using both a HDD & DVD or CD drive the HDD had to be Master and
the CD/DVD had to be slave.

If this is not your issue how are you setting the DVD drive jumpers when you
have the HDD plugged in also? Do not attempt to use cable select on either
drive. Your cable probably doesn't support it.

You can try to set the Master HDD on the middle cable connector and the
slave DVD drive on the end connector. Without Cable select this is supposed
to work (but unfortunately sometimes does not.)

Any further please give model number of the Samsung drive.

Old March 31st 09, 06:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dominic Payer[_2_]

Is the drive shown in both Disk Management and Device Manager?

You may need to assign a drive letter. If none is assigned it will not
appear in Windows Explorer.

Old March 31st 09, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Broken32

It just seemed to fix itself... i rebooted yesterday to install
something and it was just.. there.

Also I need to reset the IDE jumpers on the HDD from master to slave.

--
Broken32