POST Error (Phoenix BIOS)

Old April 1st 09, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
merkat106

Default POST Error (Phoenix BIOS)

I have updated an HP Media Center computer that I have replaced
everyhting EXCEPT the mobo and case.

Everything was working fine until the post error began.

The POST error: one short beep followed by one long beep, looping until
I turn the computer off. I tried replacing the RAM, pulling out all of
the PCI cards etc.

The computer runs a Phoenix BIOS modified by HP. The mobo is an Asus
built HP board:M2N68-LA (Narra2). I researched the error a bit and came
to the conclusion that the motherboard went bad. There have been no
surges & no visible damage to the board.

I want to know why a mobo does this for no apparent reason.

--
merkat106

Mer Hathaway,
A+ Certified &
Former in-store Circuit City firedog PC tech
Old April 1st 09, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You have no way of knowing if you had a surge (that can last for only micro
seconds). What affects one electronic device may not affect others. You do
not necessarily lose everything in your home. There may also be no visible
sign of physical damage (most usual).

What is to say that your M/B has not just failed, or that you may have done
something during your upgrade that has not caused the problem?

There is not a long time tech out there who will not say that he has never
done something that has taken out a motherboard - at least once. I have
changed hundreds and have killed 2 (which I eat).

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old April 1st 09, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clark[_4_]

merkat106 wrote:
I have updated an HP Media Center computer that I have replaced
everyhting EXCEPT the mobo and case.

Everything was working fine until the post error began.

The POST error: one short beep followed by one long beep, looping until
I turn the computer off. I tried replacing the RAM, pulling out all of
the PCI cards etc.

The computer runs a Phoenix BIOS modified by HP. The mobo is an Asus
built HP board:M2N68-LA (Narra2). I researched the error a bit and came
to the conclusion that the motherboard went bad. There have been no
surges & no visible damage to the board.

I want to know why a mobo does this for no apparent reason.

I suppose you have gone through the steps at the following site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN

What did you change originally just prior to the failure?

Have you tried unplugging the power supply? Have you checked all the
motherboard connections, especially things like CPU fans? Did you loose
a screw or some type of hardware, maybe something is shorting out a
connection.

Does this motherboard have built in Video, and if so can you add a video
card?

Clark
Old April 1st 09, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

The post beep sequences are not common between different MOBOs.
One sequence can mean no graphics card detected and another sequence can
mean no CPU available.
I double that there is any problem with the MOBO itself.
You need to find out what the beep sequence you are hearing means for your
MOBO,

Old April 1st 09, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank-FL

"merkat106" wrote in message

I have updated an HP Media Center computer that I have
replaced
everyhting EXCEPT the mobo and case.

Everything was working fine until the post error began.

The POST error: one short beep followed by one long beep,
looping until
I turn the computer off. I tried replacing the RAM,
pulling out all of
the PCI cards etc.

The computer runs a Phoenix BIOS modified by HP. The mobo
is an Asus
built HP board:M2N68-LA (Narra2). I researched the error a
bit and came
to the conclusion that the motherboard went bad. There
have been no
surges & no visible damage to the board.

I want to know why a mobo does this for no apparent
reason.

Phoenix BIOS beep codes are all in a series of four.

Old April 1st 09, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Torello

"Curious" wrote:

The post beep sequences are not common between different MOBOs.

One sequence can mean no graphics card detected and another sequence can
mean no CPU available.
I double that there is any problem with the MOBO itself.
You need to find out what the beep sequence you are hearing means for your
MOBO,

"Clark" - the person you actually replied to, not the person you
THOUGHT you replied to - provided the proper link for determining the
meaning of the beep sequences on HP computers with a Phoenix BIOS.

Old April 3rd 09, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
merkat106

Clark;1007694 Wrote:
merkat106 wrote:
I have updated an HP Media Center computer that I have replaced
everyhting EXCEPT the mobo and case.

Everything was working fine until the post error began.

The POST error: one short beep followed by one long beep, looping

until
I turn the computer off. I tried replacing the RAM, pulling out all

of
the PCI cards etc.

The computer runs a Phoenix BIOS modified by HP. The mobo is an Asus
built HP board:M2N68-LA (Narra2). I researched the error a bit and

came
to the conclusion that the motherboard went bad. There have been no
surges & no visible damage to the board.

I want to know why a mobo does this for no apparent reason.

I suppose you have gone through the steps at the following site:

'HP and Compaq Desktop PCs*-* BIOS Beep Codes and Error Message
Descriptions*'
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN)

What did you change originally just prior to the failure?

Have you tried unplugging the power supply? Have you checked all the
motherboard connections, especially things like CPU fans? Did you
loose
a screw or some type of hardware, maybe something is shorting out a
connection.

Does this motherboard have built in Video, and if so can you add a
video
card?

Clark

I have gone through all the steps listed on the HP site, and yes, I
have checked all connections, RAM etc.

Mobo still made the same POST error. Looked that up again, and it does
say troubleshoot/replace mobo.

I replaced mobo with new Gigabyte mobo.

Old April 3rd 09, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

What does the specific beep code that you are receiving for you MOBO
indicate that the problem is?