Sticky Mouse Problem

Old April 2nd 09, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TomSullivan

Default Sticky Mouse Problem

It's weird, my mouse randomly freezes for about half a second to about 5
seconds from time to time. Sometimes it get stuck permanently, but will work
if I unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in. Everything continues to
function normally, so it doesn't appear as if other things are freezing up in
any way. I have unplugged most of my peripherals in hopes of finding a cure,
but it hasn't happened yet. I've tried a different mouse (both optical.) I've
tried different USB ports. The problem only started a couple of months
ago...I don't know if it started after an update or something.
Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!
Tom
Old April 3rd 09, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bogey Man

What kind of mouse do you have?
If it has a battery, how old is it?
What is your Operating System and is it up to date?
How much Memory do you have installed?
How much Video Ram is installed one your card and what video card do you
have?
What programs are you running when the mouse freezes?

Old April 4th 09, 12:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TomSullivan

It's a generic Dell USB IR mouse (I also swapped it with another USB IR mouse
with no luck.) I'm runing vista 64-bit with quad-core, 4gigs of ram and a
Geforce 8800 with 512megs of ram -- everything is up to date.
I notice the problem all the time. I haven't noticed if it's more common
while running graphic intensive games.
I just set the advanced settings to "best performance," to see if that helps
somehow. I'm going to stop every unessential program from running as well --
except anti-virus.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Old April 4th 09, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bogey Man

I have a similar system with 8 gigs of ram and if my anti-virus kicks in
with a full system scan, I will temporarily have a frozen mouse as the
system resources are just "gobbled up" by the start of the anti-virus scan.
Perhaps something like that is happening to you.

Old April 4th 09, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TomSullivan

Unfortunately, that's not it either. I tried disabling everything. Even
closed every unnecessary system process through task manager...I then updated
my bios and checked to make sure all of my drivers (chipset, videocard, etc)
were up to date. Really frustrating...I'm going to try using a ubuntu live CD
and see if it does it then...

I appreciate the feedback.

Old April 4th 09, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Tom,
have you checked your CPU utilization when your Mouse freezes? The problem
may be that some process is temporarily consuming 100% of the CPU so that
the mouse position does not get updated. I ask this since I have seen it
happen on my laptop. Regretfully I have not yet found the cause of the
problem all I know is that it is related to the display of a new website.

Old April 5th 09, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TomSullivan

Nope, I have a four-core CPU and memory meter running in the sidebar.
Sometimes it sticks in a resting state, which really confuses me. But, now I
know it's not a Windows problem....so I should ship myself off to some other
forum or newsgroup. It behaved the same in Ubuntu.

So...today, I'm going to unplug every single unnecessary item from the
motherboard, including hard drives, DVD, and boot Ubuntu from USB and see if
I still get the problem. What's weird is that all the other USB devices
continue working normally.

Old April 5th 09, 03:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes[_2_]

Good Luck and happy to see you go to another newsgroup.

Just to add my 2 cents. Check your mouse driver which is probably the wrong one for
XP and or Ubuntu

--
Peter

news