Windows Vista shut down problem

Old April 4th 09, 10:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Shehzad

Default Windows Vista shut down problem

I have an HP530 notebook with standard features and 2GB RAM, bought in May
2008. The system comes with a bulit in Windows Vista Home edition.

For past few months the system has a painfully slow shutdown, in which has
taken from 30 minutes to 9 hours to shutdown after i pressed the shutdown
button on the start menu.

But lately, since last few weeks, upon pressing shutdown, the system gets in
to the logging off mode and never shuts down. I have left it for around 12
hours one day and it did not finish logging of. I now have to manually give
it a hard reboot by pushing down the power button.

Is this a known problem or is there any knows solution to this problem.

Microsoft, please help me
Old April 6th 09, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jeff win team

Hi Shehzad-
Have you looked into your task manager to see if there are unresponsive
programs that are keeping your computer from shutting down properly?
Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

--
jeff win team
Old April 7th 09, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
wincheese

up to 9 hours is definitely not normal...
you can try deleting your temporary files. maybe your notebook's
battery is already bad ? ( but i doubt it )
i would say its a hardware problem, but im not really pro in such
things

--
wincheese
Old April 8th 09, 04:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
chemicaluser

well first check the basics, what is the power button assigned to do in
the power options system settings.... if you are using vista right click
on your battery/charger icon in the system tray and click power
options.... on the left you will see something like choose what the
power button does

go through the setting and make sure its set to turn off and not log
off.

as far as what is slowing down your computer it could be hundreds of
things, look at the running processed in the task manager, look them up
or post a copy of them

good luck

--
chemicaluser