do I have it right?

Old April 12th 09, 12:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

Default do I have it right?

Unomas--

Thanks much for the followup. I included information above on 4/11/09 as to
how to make a Startup Repair disc from Vista SP1 or newer or alternatively a
Neosmart website, and hopefully it will help people when they don't have a
Vista or in the future a Win 7 DVD.

CH

"unomas" wrote in message

CH- thanks for all that info. AS a follow up to my situation, she found
her os disc. So, I loaded vista up no problem ran through the 100 or so
updates and gave it back to her, so she could load whatever it is she
needs (instant messenger...etc)
thanks again

--
unomas

Old April 13th 09, 04:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

I mean exactly this type incompetent OEM recovery disc that I've seen
complaints on this group that isn't working all the time for the past 3.5
years. I'm seeing it now here, and that's why I make the point that MSFT
has provided a way to make a Recovery Disc that is the same as on the Vista
and Win 7 DVD since Vista SP1. That folder, if you're not familiar, is
located at C:\Windows|System32\recdisc.exe or on the Start Menu Gui at
StartAll ProgramsMaintenanceCreate a System Repair Disc.

That remedies the problem that the 300+ OEM partners don't ship a Vista or
Win 7 DVD. They didn't ship an XP CD either.

This was posted here at 4/12/09 @ 9:36PM and it's typical (and points out
that OEM provided recovery discs and partitions are about as useful as a gum
rapper for fixing the OS:

"i had a problem and used the reinstall disks and it went all the way
through and on disk 3 it came up with error 1002 contact hp if this
problem continues if i take out the dvd and let it boot it has a boot
error i think it wiped my hd clean but not sure if i try the boot on
the hd using the recovery then it brings this error imedatley upon
week and it seems to be dead should i take it back or what I am
begining to hate vista"

--
deck60

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
What exactly do you consider a recovery disk? Lets all get on the same
page here.

There is a recovery disk (a disk image) you can make yourself by using
TrueImage or some other such program. Then there are recovery disks that
come with a new computer. Which are you talking about?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
Malke chimed in--

"This has not been my experience nor that of my colleagues in doing many
hundreds of restore-to-factory-condition jobs on many different brands of
computers. The recovery disks work fine as long as there are no hardware
issues and the correct recovery disks are used."

It has been *my experience and the experiences of thousands of people
I've helped fixed No Boot Windows in person,and my collegues who actually
like to see the broken no boot Windows up and running again* with all the
settings and apps intact, and on these groups, for five years on the XP
groups, and on Vista that so-called "recovery discs" are worthless pieces
of crap and not worth a nano-second of anyone's time if they want to get
XP, Vista, or Windows 7 up and running again with all their settings
intact.

Windows 7 is very relevant, otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up to
make a point of a sea change after MSFT offered the relatively worthless
(except for doing a chkdsk /r) Recovery console which is no longer being
offered. Why do you think they are offering intrinsic native Start-Up
repair in Windows 7? It's because they could not sell Vista to near
their expectations and many of us complained bitterly about the screwing
of people who buy OEM boxes at huge markups for the most part and then
can't fix Windows because of a deal between MSFT and their 300+OEM
partners not to ship Vista DVDs. Dell has claimed during Vista that they
will ship a Vista DVD although I've seen customers who have to remind the
Round Rockers of this published claim in order to extract a Vista DVD
from Roundrock Dell.

It uses the same repair mechanisms exactly as Vista. The only
difference is that without a DVD you have access that you did not have
before to them native to the OS. This is in response to many of us
saying to many at Redmond, that Recovery Discs are pieces of extreme
crap, and the majority of times, they are worthless.

Further, I've seen people that run tech support or are developers on the
teams that make the so-called "recovery discs" admit this hundreds of
times.

The bell shaped curve of people who use recovery discs might as well
wheel that OS to the morgue without passing "Go."

You're always better off using the OS DVD in XP, Vista and Windows 7 and
it is appropriate to educate as many people as possible who consider it
important to fix their broken, or broken and not booting OS quickly and
efficiently be it XP, Vista, or the very relevant Windows 7.

CH

"Malke" wrote in message
Chad Harris wrote:

Unomas--

It isn't that the Recovery disc "corrupted." Let me say it as plainly
as
I can.

If you do a double blind multicentered study, the way medical trials
are
often done, the resut is that OEM recovery discs do not work. MSFT has
known this for 15 years and so have their OEM partners. When they name
them
recovery discs, they are pushing a myth. When a recovery disc works,
you
are extremely lucky. In general, the concept of a recovery disc for
actual efficacy at repairing is a cruel joke that has been promulgated
for
years.

(snip)

This has not been my experience nor that of my colleagues in doing many
hundreds of restore-to-factory-condition jobs on many different brands
of
computers. The recovery disks work fine as long as there are no hardware
issues and the correct recovery disks are used.

Windows 7 is irrelevant to the OP's question.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old April 13th 09, 06:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

Why in the wide world would anyone ever want a Gateway Recovery disc when
the full panoply of Microsoft's Win RE/Startup Repair is

1) available in all Vista SP1 and newer builds and versions of the Windows
operating system right on the All Programs Menu @ Maintenance.

This is a screenshot of the two ways to do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharris16

2) Available via download (Microsoft's exact files for those who do not have
Vista SP1 for whatever reason) right he

Windows Vista Recovery Disc (Vista Startup Repair .iso Download)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

It makes no sense to use a modality with considerably less efficacy than the
a Microsoft Windows Vista Repair Disc, and to advise someone to smack
themselves in the face by substituting some erratic Gateway OEM Recovery
Disc when Microsoft has recognized the problem and made Startup Repair
available in the OS since April 15, 2008 (one year and two days ago).

Vista SP1's ability to make a recovery disc that has all of the Vista DVD's
Startup Repair is not only far superior to any of these totally goofey OEM
Recovery Discs, it has two major advantages:

1) An OEM recovery disc loses all their settings, docs, pics, music, and
files. It wipes them clean. It returns to factory settings. We have people
here every day who have unfortunately no backup of these although we preach
backup.

2) The price of a Vista SP1 download is zero dollars and zero cents, aka
it's free--it costs zip/zip.

All my best,

CH

"Malke" wrote in message
unomas wrote:

my stepdaughter's laptop's hd crashed (unusable), she of course lost the
system disc. I have my laptop and system disc, both laptops are gateway
but different models 6752 and 6836.

I have a new hd on order, and I will install vista with my disc and her
windows product key (her laptop) I shouldn't have any problem with that
right?

As Mr. Torello pointed out, if you have a recovery disk (not a true Vista
installation DVD) from Gateway, it will not be a good idea to use it on a
different model machine. It may not even work. In that case, the best
solution is to order replacement recovery media from Gateway for your
stepdaughter's laptop. These recovery sets are usually very inexpensive,
around $20. All the Gateway laptops I've seen running Vista have got
recovery media and not the true operating system installation disk.

If you have a real Vista installation DVD (not a recovery disk), then you
can install using the Product Key on the bottom of her laptop. You'll
still
need to install all the Gateway drivers afterwards.

Malke

Old April 13th 09, 06:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"Malke"/Elephant boy--

With all respect due. I know you supply high quality help here and on other
groups. However, there are important points to make to you:

1) We have people complaining every day that their OEM Recovery Discs have
failed.

There is a post on this group right now that I answered where the OP
complains that he tried a recovery disc and it did nothing. It's not an
isolated incident. I've been helping on this group and the Vista general
and the XP MSFT public group and other MSFT groups (social.technet) since
the day they started. There are hundreds of OEM recovery disc failures
reported here every few months and thousands in the history of this group.
They may not be "your collegues," but the OEM recovery discs are failing
regularly and chronically.

2) From your posts, I believe you are entirely unaware that Microsoft began
installing a utility beginning with Vista SP1 which RTM'd on 4/15/08 in the
C:\Windows\System32 folder that appears on the All Programs MenuMaintenance
that allows the individual to use a simple wizard to make a recovery disc by
simply inserting either a CD/DVD into their optical disc drive. The
children MSFT has featured in their "I'm a PC" commercials who are 6-8 years
old can use it.

Vista SP1 has released with the ability to make a Vista Repair Disc with the
full panoply of Startup Repair's options/features.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...89.aspx?ppud=4

This is a screenshot of the two ways to do this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharris16

This is the link from Neosmart's website to download and burn the .iso that
allows you to do the same thing as the Maintenance listing on the Vista SP1
and later Programs menu.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc (Vista Startup Repair .iso Download)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

3) Many of these people are teenagers or college age kids who have their
schoolwork on their boxes. In the rare instance an OEM recovery disc
restored them successfully to factory settings, they lose everything on the
box of value to them.

4) Using the startup repair modalities, the major 3 being Startup Repair,
the powerful and often successful 3 bootrec switches including the ability
to rebuild the BCD, fix the boot, and fix the MBR, and System Restore itself
they have a high chance of fixing their broken "I can't boot the box" Vista
when the cause is software as it is the majority of the time.

5) Microsoft made this for all the above reasons, although I don't think you
realize it, and the cost is completely free, just as you do not pay for
downloading an OS service pack--at least not at this time.

Best,

CH

Old April 13th 09, 06:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

Default do I have it right? Current Poster's OEM Recov Disc FAILED!

hp vista 64 recovery error 1002 by deck60 on 4/12/2008 @ 9:46PM

***This is posted on this group Malke and it's typical of hundreds of posts
I've answered here if not a thousand:***

"i had a problem and used the reinstall disks and it went all the way
through and on disk 3 it came up with error 1002 contact hp if this
problem continues if i take out the dvd and let it boot it has a boot
error i think it wiped my hd clean but not sure if i try the boot on
the hd using the recovery then it brings this error imedatley upon
week and it seems to be dead should i take it back or what I am
begining to hate vista"

Psst Malke--

1) We don't want them to "hate Vista."
2) Mr. Ballmer and Mr. Sinofsky and thousands of former Vista and current
Win 7 team members don't want them to "hate Vista."
3) None of the MVPs or TAP participants wants them to "hate Vista."
4) No one who helps here regularly wants them to "hate Vista."
5) Our goal is to get Vista fixed here, as is yours. The links I've just
shown you maximize the chance to do that, they don't lose peoples' settings,
docs, files, folders, pics, music, movies and schoolwork.
6) These kids can't afford $1600 to have the material retrieved from their
unbacked up hard drive, and neither can a lot of people out of school for
years.
7) That's why Jim Allchin and the Vista team began to work on this utility
to put it in SP1 before the Vista Beta was over and well before Vista RTM'd.
Many of us hammered the point home it was needed, and MSFT listened.
Unfortunately there are a lot of MVPs who are unaware that it even exists
who keep touting OEM recovery discs.

8) Again, I drew you a picture of what I'm talking about to make it easy for
you:

This is a screenshot of the two ways to do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharris16

This is the link from Neosmart's website to download and burn the .iso that
allows you to do the same thing as the Maintenance listing on the Vista SP1
and later Programs menu.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc (Vista Startup Repair .iso Download)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

What would you rather use? The exact same bits from Microsoft from their
Vista DVD to repair the OS or some inferior crap from some OEM who is way
too cheap to give anyone an OS DVD with their newly purchased box?

I think I know the results of any pole in any demography with any age group.
I know I know what Microsoft's intentions were in making this tool.

Best,

CH

Best,

CH

Old May 21st 10, 07:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
radwajshalik

Sure you can install like that. There will be no problem.

--
radwajshalik

'spector pro' (http://www.snapguard.co.uk/pro/overview.html)