Is there a way to install Vista on an old PC that has no DVD drives?

Old April 8th 09, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ant[_2_]

Default Is there a way to install Vista on an old PC that has no DVD drives?

Hello.

I have an old Dell Dimension 8250 test PC that I would like to install
Vista onto. However, it has no DVD drives. I cannot even boot from
external USB drives (3.5" disk drive, external HDDs, and DVD burner
drive -- CMOS doesn't see them and found out PC doesn't support bootable
USB devices).

However, I do have enough HDD space (30 GB free on second partition) to
copy Vista DVD (or make an ISO file) onto it through network (will take
a while).

Thank you in advance.
--
"Ants can lift up to 50 times their own weight. And your monitor is
missing. Time to bring out the bugspray." --BBspot's Geek Horoscopes
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old April 8th 09, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

Just buy a DVD drive, you can get one for under $20, or remove the drive
from your external enclosure and temporarily install it in the Dell. If the
PC is that old it likely isn't going to be usable with Vista anyway.

Old April 8th 09, 03:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

Vista needs a modern, well specified system. What you are planning is a
waste of time and money..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old April 8th 09, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ant[_2_]

On 4/8/2009 8:35 AM PT, Mike Hall - MVP typed:

I have an old Dell Dimension 8250 test PC that I would like to install
Vista onto. However, it has no DVD drives. I cannot even boot from
external USB drives (3.5" disk drive, external HDDs, and DVD burner
drive -- CMOS doesn't see them and found out PC doesn't support
bootable USB devices).

However, I do have enough HDD space (30 GB free on second partition)
to copy Vista DVD (or make an ISO file) onto it through network (will
take a while).

Vista needs a modern, well specified system. What you are planning is a
waste of time and money..

Well, it is for basic testings to see of my softwares work correctly.
--
"Yo mama is so poor, I saw her fighting an ant for food." --unknown
/\___/\

Old April 9th 09, 11:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Adam Albright[_4_]

Vista needs a modern, well specified system. What you are planning is a
waste of time and money..

Microsoft claims their crap OS can run on a 800 mhz computer with 512 mb
ram!

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8250/specs.htm

Microprocessor type
Intel® Pentium® 4 microprocessor that runs at 2.0 GHz internally and 400 MHz
externally; or 2.26, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533
MHz externally

Vista needs a modern, well specified system. What you are planning is a
waste of time and money..

WRONG! Vista is a waste of time and money!

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-a...adds-anti-vist

Texas has added a rider to its state budget requiring written authorization
before buying Windows Vista.

In Texas, apparently, the state government doesn't like Windows Vista. In
fact they dislike it so much that a State Senator has added a rider to the
state budget that would require any state body, with the exception of
schools, to have written authorization before buying Vista.

The rider, proposed by Juan Hinojosa, was adopted without objection, and the
budget is expected to be passed this week.

Senator Hinojosa told the San Antonio News:

"We have a lot of problems with the Vista program."

"It had a lot of bugs. It takes up a lot of memory. It's not compatible with
other equipment, and it's supposed to be an upgrade from the XP program that
is being used by state agencies, and it's not."

Old April 9th 09, 12:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

I had vista 32 HP running without any significant problem on my laptop with
512MB, however, I could not use Aero till I upgraded to 1GB . And I only
did the upgrade because my son upgraded his laptop from 1GB to 2GB to better
play games.
AFAIK you can order a set of Vista installation CDs from MS as long as you
have a retail vista package and it's product key.

Old April 9th 09, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chad Harris[_8_]

While Senator Hinojosa's problems were not specified, many of the problems
he referred to could be easily solved if the crackers in Texas got some help
from people who know what they're doing from the MSFT campus or from
somewhere in Austin.

This falls in the broad category of what I call Vista paranoia without
actually testing and using Vista. This whole scheme of "a lot of problems"
touted predominantly by people who don't have a minimal amount of computer
skill was very unfortunate. Part of it was propelled by 3rd party driver and
hdw manufacturers dragging their feet on drivers, predomininatly 64 bit
drivers too long after Vista RTM'd in 2007.

Another force is that since there has been about half the time between
Vista's RTM and the iminent release of Windows 7, with its release of RC1
to the public a short time away given the CPU efficiency and stability of
the Beta of Windows 7, many people, governments and medium/large enterprises
included are now electing to wait for the RTM of Windows 7.

I help a number of "friends"/and aquaintances with their boxes who have
dissed Vista without really trying it, only to find that every one of their
problems were solvable in minutes and the problems were with them not Vista
or MSFT.

This reminds me of the Mohave project.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mojave-experiment/

CH

Old April 10th 09, 12:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Adam Albright[_4_]

This reminds me of the Mohave project.

So you confess that you are one of the idiots that fell for that vista
promoting propaganda crap?

I mean how dumb can you be man?

Old April 10th 09, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chad Harris[_8_]

I confess I Beta tested Vista and used it for production boxes back in 7/05.
Never had a significant problem with it, although they could have improved
upon it and most enterprises and Gartner are now in favor of adopting Win 7
without waiting for a Service Pack. I'm past Vista. I've used Win 7 as
Production since December--and every build gets better. I'm here to help
people with whatever flavor of Windows they have "period."

I have way too much to do to waste time in a ****ing contest with the AA's
of the world. You waste a lot of time with non-specific criticisms of any
Windows OS. I'd use it playing with Linux if you don't like Windows or you
can buy a Mac and use OS X+.

CH

http://aqfl.net

Old April 8th 09, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob Knowlden[_2_]

I'll agree with another poster that installing an internal DVD drive is the
sensible approach. That, unless you really want to do a lot of messing
around.

Here's an example:

(No the cheapest, but it has free shipping at the moment, so it may have the
lowest net cost.)

support.dell.com gives you the particulars for your system (It's fairly
easy. You screw a couple of rails to the drive, and then slide/snap it in
place.)

Dell seems to like having ATAPI drives jumpered as "cable select".