CHKDSK aborted

Old April 12th 09, 05:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
joonkas

Default CHKDSK aborted

I purchased a Dell XPS M1330 with window vista 64 bit around Nov' 2008.
I was so happy with my computer and was using it until it crashed on me
last month =[
Dell support told me that my hard drive was crashed so I was trying to
get access to my pictures from my old external hard drive...
However my Western Digital External Hard drive 500 GB has given me a
hard time to access.
=[. I've tried many different ways to access my external hard drive but
I have not been able to access it at all.

I have tried
1. device manage - designated the drive as J:
2. tried using CHKDSK j: /r/f - but aborted due to unknown reason
3. tried using CHKDsK j: /r/x - insufficient disk space to repair
master file table MFT mirrors; CHKDSK aborted.
(I've done these methods by searching online... xD)

Is there any way I can get access to my external hard drive?

p.s. I'm not really good with computer; so if you could possibly
explain with detail and why, that would be GREAT! =]
thank you so much for reading this post =]

--
joonkas
Old April 12th 09, 10:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL[_3_]

Trying to access the external from another PC or the Dell with the faulty
disk?
If with the faulty Dell, nothing is going to happen untill you get the Dell
fixed

Old April 12th 09, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rich.[_2_]

From windows explorer, right click the HDD and select properties. Then click
the tools tab, and then the error check button. If you're prompted to
schedule a chkdsk at you next reboot, do that and reboot.

Old April 12th 09, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You are trying to access the external hard drive via a computer that has
known/unknown problems. You may be lucky that you can not access the
external drive. Were you to do so, you may corrupt the files on the external
drive.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old April 12th 09, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
joonkas

DL;1017504 Wrote:
Trying to access the external from another PC or the Dell with the
faulty
disk?
If with the faulty Dell, nothing is going to happen untill you get the
Dell
fixed

"joonkas" wrote in message

I tried that method, but it only delays my other computers. =[

Rich.;1017600 Wrote:
From windows explorer, right click the HDD and select properties. Then
click
the tools tab, and then the error check button. If you're prompted to
schedule a chkdsk at you next reboot, do that and reboot.

"joonkas" wrote in message

I can't get access to my computer at all; even though I get access to
the hard drive, I can't right click the HDD... it only freezes my
computer =[
any other way?

Richard Urban;1017665 Wrote:
You are trying to access the external hard drive via a computer that has
known/unknown problems. You may be lucky that you can not access the
external drive. Were you to do so, you may corrupt the files on the
external
drive.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"joonkas" wrote in message

=[ so there is no other way that I can get access to my external hard
drive?
I've contacted some professonals and asked how much it would cost me to
restore my hard drive files;
and they told me that it would cost me more than 1000 dollars.. T___T
any other way i can do this?

--
joonkas
Old April 13th 09, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vanshaj Daga

Well if your Western Digital external harddrive doesnot gives any noise
during operation then your data is safe and if your drive is out of warrenty
then try to disassamble it because there is only the fault in the controller
of the external harddrive not the harddrive itself. When you will disassamble
your harddrive you will get a normal ide/sata harddrive which you can use as
the internal harddrive on your computer then you can access the pictures
without 1000$. and you can purchase a new one with much less amount. I guess
it helps. But while disassembling be very cautious as it is very delicate to
jerks and shocks. Sorry for this kind of response but i dont think that
softwarically you can eliminate this problem but i think if you try it more
through softwares you might loose your data with corruption. Reply

--
Vanshaj Daga

http://www.ak****agroup.co.cc

"joonkas" wrote in message

I tried that method, but it only delays my other computers. =[

Rich.;1017600 Wrote:
From windows explorer, right click the HDD and select properties. Then
click