HP Pavilion dv6000 won't load vista

Old April 12th 09, 06:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
r3n3r4d3

Default HP Pavilion dv6000 won't load vista

Hi all

This is what happened

I woke up at 6 to go work, i left my laptop on all night, so i decided
to shut it off before i go to work.

I JUST came back, and when i start it, the HP loading screen works,
then it loaded in my vista home premium. i type my password, but it was
frozen already.

So i restarted my laptop. and it loads teh HP screen, then blank
screen. I tried to wait for 10-15 mins. still blank screen.

I tried to use the PHXBIOS and did a Hard Disk self test.

The status: #10009 - Replace Hard Disk

WHAT I DO?

OMG

ALL MY Univeristy homeworks in tehre !

:'(

PLEASE HELP!

I RAN SYSTEM STARTUP REPAIR USING VISTA RECOVERY DISC

AND THIS CAME OUT FROM THE RESULT:

root cause found:
system volume on disk is corrupt

Repair action: file system repair (chkdsk)
REsult: completed error code = 0x0
time taken = 312985 ms

so is my harddrive done?

Is there ANYTHING i can do? I really want to keep all my files.

Thanks

--
r3n3r4d3
Old April 12th 09, 06:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

I don't know if your hard drive is done, and I don't know how reliable what
you did to test it is. It's unclear to me if Startup Repair actually caused
a chkdsk to be run.

Since you seem to have a Vista DVD from which to run a startup repair, boot
from the DVDstartup repaircommand prompt and use the bootrec commands and
see if that helps you. You should get an attaboy after each command you
type at the command prompt you're going to access in the Startup Repair menu
outside Windows:

http://owened.co.nz/Owenedv2/wp-cont...tup-repair.png

At the command prompt type separately and after each one you should get a
"successful" attaboy.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

If these don't work, then try tapping the F8 key to the Windows Advanced
options menu and try system restore from each Safe Mode, and if necessary
try the longshot, which is really a registry snapshot much like System
Restore, Last Known Good:

Good luck,

CH

Old April 12th 09, 09:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Richard G. Harper

If your data is important to you, stop trying to recover it yourself and
take the computer to a professional who is skilled at data recovery.
Anything you try at this point could well be destroying the data that
remains on the drive to the point that even a professional cannot recover
it.

Oh, and for future information, consider backing up essential data and
documents to an external device, network drive, etc.

Old April 12th 09, 10:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
DL[_3_]

Unless you are technically competent you stop doing anything and take your
PC to a reputable repair shop.
Or you download, create the bootable disk checking utility available from
your HD manufacturers web site, then boot from that disk & run a check If
you dont know the HD make, try Seatools from Seagate

Old April 12th 09, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

So far, we don't have solid evidence your HD is over. Tools like Seagate's
are fairly reliable and I'd give 'em a try first. Most OEM pc makers have
key combos at startup that you could use to get an indication of the status
of your HD as well. For Dell, it's Ctrl+Alt+D when you see the firmware or
bios-splash screen, the so-called "90-90" test that detects 90% of HD
problems You didn't state what HP box you have--so try HP's support
resources or google/MSN Search and see; I've seen discussions of "HP
Diagnostics" on the web.

You aren't going to jeapordize recovery of your data one scintilla by
trying boot switches at SR's command prompt. If it works, you're ahead of
the game. If not, you haven't impacted your situation.

It would be a waste of money to haul your box into some professional
recovery venu before you try the tools MSFT has given you. Further, the
average cost to recover data from a HD from pros is about $1600. That's not
in a lot of people's budget who are students doing "university homework."

If you do recover. using the boot switches I gave you from the Startup
Repair menu, I'd type cmd in the search box above startrt. clickrun as
admin.and type chkdsk c: \r at the cmd prompt

Sometimes where the rubber hits the road is in the real world.

CH

Old April 12th 09, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
r3n3r4d3

i did the startup repair, which didnt work. I also did the cmd prompt
thing and enter those 3 commands. but it doesnt work.

Both resulted in 5 mins wait of the Vista Loading Bar Screen. Then the
Blue screen comes out. then restarts my computer.

So i guess my only chance is to take it to a professional right?

--
r3n3r4d3
Old April 12th 09, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

r3--

Tell me exactly how you "did the command prompt thing" step by step and type
the 3 commands for me. And when you did those commands if you did them, did
you get a "successful" response after each one on the command
prompt--because I hear all the time things like "I did the command prompt
thing" only to find out that someone didn't do it correctly.

Further, besides wanting to know exactly what you did so I know if you ran
the 3 commands correctly by getting you to type them and telling me that you
accessed the command prompt in startup repair you make no mention at all
about several other things I told you to do:

I'll reiterate one more time. I told you:

1) Run the Seagate hard drive test
2) Search the web using "the google" for any HP hard drive diagnostic and
run it
3) Assure me by showing me how you did it and typing the commands what you
did at the command prompt if you were able to get there. The reason I'm
insisting on this is that many people will say they did something, only to
mean they couldn't get it done.
4) You made no mention, and did not try I'll assume to use all of the
options available to you after restarting and tapping the F8 key once per
second at the bios splash or HP firmware screen. I intend for you
specifically to get to the F8 screen that I've screenshot for you already,
and run system restore at:

1) Safe Mode
2) Safe Mode with Networking
3) Safe Mode with Command typing %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
at the command prompt.

By my count, I'm asking you to do each and every one of these things before
you book off to someone you're paying. My logic is that hundreds if not
thousands of times, I've seen them work collectively. Further you don't
know the exact status of your hard drive. Unless and until you do, you can't
assume it's fried. If it isn't, then you have no reason in the world not to
take the few minutes doing what I've asked you to do.

That's:

1) Run a Seagate tool to assess the HD on your HP.
2) Find or call HP for the tool that assess your HD.

These assessment tools aren't perfect, but they're accurate about 90% of the
time.

3) Show me how you did the 3 boot rec commands and tell me what the command
prompt said after you ran each of them:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

***There is a space after the c and before the "/"

4) System Restore from Safe Mode by tapping F8
5) System Restore from Safe Mode with Command by tapping F8 using the
command I gave you for that location.
6) System Restore from Safe Mode with Networking
7) Last Known Good Configuration which takes all of a nanosecond to run.

I've given you homework of 7 tasks before I'd encourage you to spend your
money with a "professional" because most of us here have been students at
some college, and beyond and most of us remember that we didn't have a
helluva lot of extra money to spend before we saw if we could get something
done for free. I'm curious at this point while we have spent time trying to
help you just how many of these 7 things you've checked off your list.

I want to know exactly how you did the bootrec commands and what the command
prompt told you after each one. Did it say "not recognized" in which case
you didn't type them correctly, or did it tell you each one was successful?

If you haven't done the other 6 on the list, what are you waiting for?

Best,

CH

Thanks,

CH

Old April 12th 09, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

Specifically r3--

Here are instructions as to how to use the 4 options at the Windows Advanced
Options menu you will see after tapping the "F8" key at the start. The F8
menu looks like this:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ot-Options.jpg

Directions on how to use it are he
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...ef5a71033.mspx

Good luck and let me know what happened after you complete my 7 quick
homework assignments,

CH

Old April 12th 09, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
r3n3r4d3

Hi CH

One Question before i do System restore.

Does System Restore mean all my files are wiped and the whole system
restores or..?

For the command Prompt. I did exactly what you said. and each time it
says successful. When i typed bootrec /rebuildbcd, it told me to wait
for a bit, then the Successful message came on afterwards.

I don't know how to do the Seagate hard drive test, do i use a USB
stick? (sorry i'm not that good with computers when problems arise
because i'm scared i'll do something wrong and completely destroy my
computer)

Thanks
R3n

Old April 12th 09, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

Default HP Pavilion Hard Drive Test

r3--

This is one test to see if an HP Pavillion HD is damaged.

Restart PCtap F10 when you see the HP or Compaq logo screenwhen you reach
bios setup use the keys to select the diagnostics tabselect "hard drive
self test" and press enterfind something entertaining to do for 40
minutesthe grading system is pass/fail here.

Good luck,

CH

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3520188/HP...drive-test-new