Hard drive crashed, bought a new one but...

Old April 15th 09, 02:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ekxotip

Default Hard drive crashed, bought a new one but...

I suck with computers so bear with me...
My hard drive crashed, so i bought a new one but when i try to run the
recovery dvd disc, as soon as i click start it says Error 100a if
problem persists contact hp. i called them and they're telling me i now
need to get a new recovery disc, but i dont think they know what they're
talking about and im sure they will just tell me i need to buy something
else when that doesnt work

what do yall think i should do?

--
ekxotip
Old April 15th 09, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

The recovery information needed to recover your computer is on your old hard
drive. Listen to HP and purchase what they say you need.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old April 15th 09, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pupick

Most vendors will sell a recovery disc for a fraction of the cost of buying
a retail copy of a Microsoft OS.
However if you "suck" with computers how do you know the problem is with
your hard drive? The cheapo power supplies that come in most retail boxed
computers probably fail more frequently than hard drives.
If your hard drive crashed, the hard drive with the recovery disc partition,
you would not be able to run the recovery program at all.

Old April 17th 09, 12:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper[_2_]

It could be a damaged disc. But, to get the fix and know for sure, I'd
follow HP's recommendation and get a new recovery disc. That will bring it
back to the default factory condition. If you don't want to go that route,
you could always obtain another Vista disc and install it from scratch using
the COA on the machine. You would probably have to download the drivers from
HP, but it wouldn't have all the crapware that HP puts on the machine to
begin with. If you don't use or need any of the standard HP applications,
that would be an option.

Good luck!

--

Dustin Harper
http://www.mstechpages.com

Old May 8th 09, 07:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TimeWasted

Think I have an answer to error 100a folks.

I had, like many of you put XP on a Vista machine and found I could not
restore Vista,
either from restore partition or disks due to error 100a cropping up
and stopping the restore.

Some of you had also found this problem when replacing your HDD.

I had previously found this posting :-

Error 0x100A: No system partition found
it is a common error when trying to run a Recovery...

With this in mind and knowing I had deleted the Vista C: partition and
split it into two for the XP install
as it was 118 gigs, which is wastefull if you don't store your data on
the same drive as your Windows.

I used the XP disk to remove the partitions and make the C: back to
original size and then the restore worked fine.

I do not know what is the minimum size required. When I had Vista
installed I had made a separate drive for data to the maximum it would
allow me.

--
TimeWasted
Old June 16th 09, 09:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dnobre

Got exactly the same problem, however when I cannot see all partitions
in the HD.
HD is 150Gb and supposed to have three partitions. Now when I look in
DOS, I can see just one partition C: with 130 Gb and still getting 100a.
error.

Any idea how to recover the other two partition and format everything
in one big partition?

--
dnobre
Old June 16th 09, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TimeWasted

DNobre :- In order to get my partitions back to the previous size I
started XP installation to the point where you can delete, create or
format partitions and deleted the smaller partitions I had created and
then made the C: drive from that space.

Obviously any data in the partitions you delete will be lost so needs
to be backed up if you need to keep it.

Then, I stopped the XP install and did the Vista restore.

--
TimeWasted