thumb drive won't trun on at boot time

Old April 19th 09, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Default thumb drive won't trun on at boot time

Hi, John.

Vista lists the card readers as drives i,j,k,l but when the PNY is stuck
in it takes drive i over and the card readers become j,k,l m. Maybe that
has something to do with it. You would think the PNY would become drive m.

Have you used Disk Management to explicitly assign the letter M: to your PNY
drive? Have you explicitly assigned the letter I: to your card reader?

When left to its own devices (no pun intended), Vista assigns letters for
new devices according to its own built-in algorithm, which usually boils
down to "next available letter". But when we assign letters in Disk
Management, it tries to respect those letters.

As I said earlier, my one-card reader is always S: because that's what I
assigned. It doesn't matter whether or not a flash drive is plugged in as
Drive F: or X:, or whether the flash drive is there at boot or plugged in
later - or unplugged and plugged in again during the same session. That
SanDisk is always S:.

Aha! Your latest post just appeared. I'm glad you found the solution. But
I've got this typed already, so I'll post it for whatever benefit it may be
to you or to others.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

"John" wrote in message
Two year old HP Media Computer. HP Pavilion m7480n
Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. EMERY 1.05
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.10 03/07/2006
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)

Drives: (As listed in BIOS)
ASUS DVD-E616A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

ST31000333AS [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9TE04LH9, rev
SD15, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD3200AAKS-00SBA0 ATA Device [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 1
Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
The above are just card readers
PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device [Hard drive] (16.03 GB) -- drive 6

I have two USB hubs with various things on them.

I have 2 other 320 gb hd's I interchange. I edit music and film. Lots of
data.

I've removed and altered the drive bays to facilitate easy exchange of
hd's.

When it boots I can see the PNY flash as if it is trying to go on but it
doesn't. Have tried it in all USB ports and both hubs.

Vista lists the card readers as drives i,j,k,l but when the PNY is stuck
in it takes drive i over and the card readers become j,k,l m. Maybe that
has something to do with it. You would think the PNY would become drive m.

John

R. C. White wrote:
Hi, DL.

Could you please tell us where you learned this bit of wisdom?

It obviously is wrong because I regularly shut down and boot up with
multiple USB flash drives in place. No problem.

If you have experienced a problem with this, please furnish details (make
and model of computer, or motherboard if you built it yourself; make and
model of thumb drive; which version of Windows or Vista; how many hard
drives and other devices show up in Disk Management?).

RC