Computer not detecting USB Flash Drives

Old April 23rd 09, 02:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cyllax

Default Computer not detecting USB Flash Drives

I recently rebuilt most of my computer and upgraded to windows Vista and
now my computer won't detect my USB flash drives. I know the USB ports
are working because my mouse is USB and it works fine. I've tried
uninstalling the USB drivers and letting them reinstall but that didn't
work at all.

What else should i be trying?

--
Cyllax
Cyllax's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/92715.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old April 25th 09, 06:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cyllax[_2_]

No they don't show up anywhere. I've made sure that there's no drive
letter assignment conflictions or anything like that. They just aren't
being detected at all. And I know for sure that the USB ports are
working since the mouse works in all the ports I've tried with the flash
drives.

Old April 26th 09, 05:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cyllax[_3_]

I downloaded any updates I could find for my motherboard (XFX nForce
750i SLI). I didn't find any specifically for the BIOS though. Still
can't get it to detect the flash drives.

Old April 26th 09, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

AFAIK the mouse movement is driven by the MOBO itself and not by any OS
driver. Do your USB controllers show up in Vista device manager and if yes
do they all show as working?

Old April 27th 09, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cyllax[_4_]

Under USB controllers in the device manager i have:

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

all show as working.

Old April 27th 09, 01:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Where the drives being detected at some time in the past?
If you boot your system with no flash drives connected what happens when you
connect one?
Have the flash drives previously been formatted with FAT32 or NTFS format?

Old April 27th 09, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cyllax[_5_]

This system hasn't been able to detect the drives since I got it up and
running. But they've both worked fine on other machines.

If I boot the system with no flash drives connected, and then put one
in, nothing happens at all.

And I haven't formatted either of the drives with anything.

Old April 27th 09, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

have you tested all the USB ports on the system ?

is the drive shown in disk management when its connected ?

does device manager show as USB mass storage device when a flash drive
is connected ?

--
tanuj_chadha

Tanuj

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. - Karl
Marx :geek: