Vista Banter

-   -   choosing booting in partitioned HDD (http://www.vistabanter.com/160798-choosing-booting-partitioned-hdd.html)

phatali April 23rd 09 10:43 PM

choosing booting in partitioned HDD

Hey, im new here so firstly i would like to say hello :)
and second i hope someone can help me with a problem.

Basically im running Vista 32 bit on my hp notebook but i have some
programs that are not compatible with it yet, so i decided to partition
my hardrive and have xp on one of the partitions.

so now C: is vista D: is xp and i think F: is recovery but it was
D::confused:

anyway the problem im having is trying to boot back into vista.....iv
gone into BIOS and had a look for booting options but it just lists the
name of the HDD and not the partitions.....Anyone know how to select
what partition you want to boot from??
Because it auto boots from the xp partition and i can see that in disk
manager but not sure how i can change it back to C::(

I hope im clear enough.
Thanks
Ali

--
phatali

John Barnett MVP[_3_] April 23rd 09 11:24 PM

choosing booting in partitioned HDD

Welcome Phatali,

Drive letter will change as a matter of course. If you boot into Vista
(which you can't at the moment but more on that later) you will see that
Vista is drive C: while D is XP and F your recovery partition. Now boot into
XP and things will change again XP will be C: Vista will be D: etc.

Installing XP has over-written the Vista boot loader and that is why you
can't gain access to Vista. I suggest you read this FAQ from my website:
http://www.winuser.co.uk/windows_vis...g_vista.htm l
This will explain how to solve the problem.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

SIW2 April 23rd 09 11:27 PM

phatali;1026894 Wrote:
[...]

Hi phatali,

You might like to check this tutorial:

'Installing XP After Vista - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki'
(http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...XP+After+Vista)

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2

phatali April 25th 09 10:18 AM

choosing booting in partitioned HDD

Thanks alot iv got it working now :D

--
phatali

John Barnett MVP[_3_] April 25th 09 11:54 AM

choosing booting in partitioned HDD

I'm glad you've got things sorted.