"Please insert a disc into drive D:" error message

Old April 24th 09, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dcf2000

Default "Please insert a disc into drive D:" error message

I have a new Gateway MD7820u laptop computer running Vista Home Premium
that is now asking me to "Please insert a disc into drive D:" regardless
of what is in or not in the drive. I have deleted the drive from device
manager and let Windows reinstall the drivers, done a system restore,
updated all the Windows drivers, uninstalled anything loaded after the
last time the drive worked, and physically cleaned the lens on the
optical drive all to no avail.

Does anyone have any experience with this error? I'm holding out for a
Vista-related problem because the drive is new (sticker on bottom of
laptop is dated 10 February 2009) and the laptop has never left the
house. I didn't have the computer for more than a month when this
happened. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thank you
in advance for your assistance.

--
dcf2000
Old April 24th 09, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kavita

When does this message comes up?
Is it as the time when you use your Drive or at the time of startup or
comes randomly?

--
kavita

God Helps Those Who Help Others.
A Man In Need Is A Man In Deed.
This is all I learn here......
Old April 24th 09, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dcf2000

Sorry, I should have mentioned this happens whenever I try to access or
use the D: drive, and the drive pops open like it's trying to eject a
disk (whether there is a disk in the drive or not).

It doesn't recognize any kind of disk (CD, DVD, CD-R, etc.) and the day
before this happened I burned a song from iTunes to a disk and the right
before I started having problems with the drive I was installing a
Targus universal USB docking station.

--
dcf2000
Old April 24th 09, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kavita

Hi dcrf2000, Here are some steps you must perform to eliminate the cause
of this problem:
1: try using your dvd drive in safe mode.
2: disable all startup items in msconfig.
2: Uninstall the dvd drive from device manager.
3: Delete the *UpperFilters*, *LowerFilters* and *NoInstallClass* in
registry by going to
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Class*
Under Class, click on *{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.*
In the right pane, right-click *UpperFilters*, and then click on
*Delete*.
In the right pane, right-click *LowerFilters*, and then click on
*Delete*.
Click on *Yes* when prompted to delete the registry value.
Close regedit and restart your computer.

Old April 24th 09, 08:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dcf2000

Thanks for the advice, made the registry correction but still receive
the same error message.

--
dcf2000
Old April 24th 09, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Have you tried doing a system restore to a date before you installed the
docking station?
Did the installation of the docking station require you to install from a CD
or DVD?
It appears that your drive may have had an early life failure.

Old April 24th 09, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dcf2000

Yes, I restored it to a point well before I had any drive problems. It
was shortly after I used the Targus install disk that I had the drive
problems.

--
dcf2000
Old April 24th 09, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Well did you still have problems with the drive when you restored to before
the Targus install disk was used in the drive?
If yes is there any possibility that the Targus disk was warped or had any
other problems that could have damaged the drive when the door was closed?

Old April 29th 09, 01:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank-FL

"dcf2000" wrote in message

[...]

You can do everything that is suggested in the following messages,
or you can take it back to the store and have them fix it or replace
the faulty laptop.