external hard drive

Old April 28th 09, 11:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Default external hard drive

Richard Urban wrote:

You work with an external drive the same as you would work with an
internal drive. Use drive manager! Go to the drive and right click on the
visual representation of the drive. You will see options there. Delete
partition / create partition / format partition.

What Richard said. ;-)

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old April 28th 09, 12:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Sorry for jumping in Malke but I had a bad night and have been up most of
it! (-:

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old April 28th 09, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]

There is no delete partition in there. I opened drive manager and went to
Disk drives/chose Generic USB Disk USB Device and right clicked. No delete
partition. Also opened computer and right clicked on that drive. No delete
partition. Only format and a few other things. Where's delete partition at
because a format alone won't fix the drive?
--

Walt
"Richard Urban" wrote in message
You work with an external drive the same as you would work with an
internal drive. Use drive manager! Go to the drive and right click on the
visual representation of the drive. You will see options there. Delete
partition / create partition / format partition.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
How do you delete partitions on a external hard drive. I'm assuming your
telling me to do that first and then format it?

--

Walt
"Malke" wrote in message
Walter Goldschmidt wrote:

I tried to format drive afterwords but it still didn't function
properly.

There is no way for me to know what you did or the state of the drive by
reading about it in a newsgroup. I suspect that you didn't realize that
you
need to completely delete all partitions and create new ones before you
attempted a format. I've had an external drive be corrupted and it took
bit of doing to get it back in shape so I could format it and use it
again.
The drive was *physically* fine.

Malke

Old April 28th 09, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You are saying that you want to delete a partition. Are you certain that it
is not "Unallocated Space"" If it is as I suspect all you have to do is
create a partition in the unallocated space and format the partition.

Old April 28th 09, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Walter,

All through your computer, by selecting an object etc., right clicking gives
you different options/choices of what you can do to that object. Don't be
afraid to experiment with the right click.

Now, right click on the empty space in drive management.

Old April 28th 09, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Walter if it is 'unallocated space' then it will have a black bar and the
area will be shade with the words 'unallocated'. If this is the case,
if you Right click on it you should see an option called 'new simple
volume'

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

Old April 29th 09, 12:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]

I know all about right clicking I do it all the time it can be a real
shortcut. You geniuses don't seem to understand that I need you to explain
how to do these things your all talking about. What the heck is drive
management I could not find it under help.

Old April 29th 09, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Type Management in search.

Start Computer Management

Start Disk/Drive Management under Storage

Old April 29th 09, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Manny Weisbord

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote:

I know all about right clicking I do it all the time it can be a real
shortcut. You geniuses don't seem to understand that I need you to explain
how to do these things your all talking about. What the heck is drive
management I could not find it under help.

Lookup DISK Management.