eSATA Connection Drops During Inactivity

Old May 1st 09, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mardon[_3_]

Default eSATA Connection Drops During Inactivity

I'm having an eSATA problem that seem to be the same issue as described
by Alanho in his post on May 27, 2008:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardwa...vanishing.html

I'm starting a new thread because that was almost a year ago and there
is no answer given in that thread.

I have an add-in, PCI-Express, 2-port, eSATA II card. It is a Heisei
Electronics Co., Model BPE-220SI-V1.2, which contains a Silicon Image
3132 chip. My external drives are Western Digital MyBooks and they came
with the eSATA cables. My PC is an HP xw6200 Workstation configured dual
boot with XP Pro x86 and Vista Ultimate x64 SP1.

The eSATA drives work fine in the XP OS. In the x64 Vista OS, the eSATA
connection is lost between the host adapter and the drive whenever the
drive is idle for about 15 minutes. If the drive is accessed more often
then that, then it never disconnects. For example, it will not
disconnect if a torrent is running to the eSATA drive.

In the thread I mentioned at the top of this post, someone suggested
making a BAT file that would ping the drives every so often to keep the
connection alive. Can anyone tell me specifically how to do this for the
2-port adapter? It sounds like this might be a work-around until I can
figure out how to solve the problem directly.

I did check the Silicon Image website to see if I could flash the
firmware on the adapter. I found the SI UpdFlash program but it doesn't
seem to recognize the Heisei adapter as one that is flashable.

Can anyone suggest a PCIe eSATA adpater card that is known to work
corectly with Vista x64? I'd get a new adapter card if I knew of one
that will work.
Any other ideas? Someone who responded to Alanho's post said that this
was a known problem in Vista. Is that true?

Thanks, Mardon

--
Mardon
Old May 4th 09, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank-FL

"Mardon" wrote in message

[...]

I would try checking your power options. I just use the esata
brackets that go to the onboard sata ports.

Old May 4th 09, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
raks

Dude,

This wont be cheap i have 2 wd my book studio 500gb esata hdd, i found
the perfect PCI-E addon card for any mobo, only thing is i had to search
high and low to get it, from the states via ebay.

if you want a pci-e card wont drop your hdd connection after 15mins and
when your computer starts and shuts down so will the drive then look for
this

Startech PEXSATA24E 4 Port Serial Adapter ATA II Raid card

--
raks
Old May 4th 09, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mardon[_3_]

raks;1035822 Wrote:

snip... i found the perfect PCI-E addon card for any mobo

snip...look for this

Startech PEXSATA24E 4 Port Serial Adapter ATA II Raid card

Thanks for the info. The 2-port version (PEXESATA2) of that adapter is
available from cdw.ca for $50 Canadian. If your 4-port version works OK
with Vista x64, then I guess the 2-port version would also. Perhaps I'll
give it a try. Thanks.

--
Mardon
Old May 5th 09, 02:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
raks

Dude,

Dont freak out if it says no compatability with vista64 my card i
suggested found another driver and installed perfectly.

When Vista64 asks for drivers let it automatically search for them,
just rememeber to have your internet connection on so vista64 and search
for drivers on the web and install them for you.

For my card vista64 found sonnet drivers, i was alittle dubious at
first, so long as it works im happy with it. Good luck.

--
raks