Network Connections stumper

Old May 2nd 09, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Brandon Taylor[_2_]

Default Network Connections stumper

I have a dial-up networking connection already set up on my Windows Vista
Home Basic machine, which is equipped with Service Pack 1. Yet, when I log
on as one particular user, and then click Start Connect To, my dial-up
networking connection does not appear, and the "Connect to a network" window
says "Windows can't find any networks" when I am not connected, or "Windows
cannot find any additional networks" when I am connected.

At the same time, I find on my desktop a folder named "_hiddenPbk", which,
when I open it, contains a file called "rasphone.pbk". I have just found out
that this folder, as well as the file associated with it, belongs in the
folder called "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk". I copied the
"_hiddenPbk" folder from my desktop to this folder and restarted my machine,
but the effort turns out to be for naught: My dial-up connection still does
not appear in the "Connect to a network" window.

This quandary is user-wide only, meaning that this predicament only happens
when I log on to my Windows Vista machine as user "X" but not as user "Y" or
"Z" or any other user. What's the issue here?

I would appreciate any help you can provide in this matter. Thank you.

Brandon Taylor
Old May 2nd 09, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

It could a 3rd party software or group policy. This post may help.
Vista VPN disappear
2 posts - 1 author - Last post: Apr 22, 2008
Vista VPN disappear ... Can't create VPN on Vista with Event ID 7023,
20063, 20151 and 20070 · Login script not running when using CMAK ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=3795

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Old June 7th 09, 06:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Brandon Taylor[_2_]

The information you have just provided did absolutely nothing for my problem.

I require additional information as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Old June 7th 09, 11:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Malke[_2_]

Brandon Taylor wrote:

The information you have just provided did absolutely nothing for my
problem.

I require additional information as soon as possible.

You "require"?!! This is a newsgroup and the people who try to help you are
all volunteers. If you require immediate information and a resolution, call
a computer tech to come on-site. Of course this won't be free but you will
get your immediate requirement fulfilled. I don't recommend using a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old June 7th 09, 02:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Charlie Tame

Brandon

There's probably nobody here who can give a perfect answer since we are
all volunteering our personal experiences and dial up problems can be
difficult because less people use it these days.

Seems to that you have a "User" problem rather than a dial up problem
though, can you recall if that user was set up before the dial up was,
or was he/she set up at the same time as the others?

I had one machine recently where everything looked fine until the owner
told me she had "Changed" some user names. I found that by deleting
those users and recreating them her problems went away. I would try
setting up a fake user and see if that works, if it does consider
removing "x" or whatever and restart and recreate him. Yes I do realize
that some user data may be lost but Vista seems to dislike identity
"Changes".