USB 2.0 problem

Old May 2nd 09, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
VictorV

Default USB 2.0 problem

Hello people,
I'm experimenting a big problem with my Kingston DataTraveler DT100
with 8GB.
When I connect it, it seems to work perfectly. I can read and delete
files without problem, but when I try to write any file on it, windows
start to copy and then it says "Could not find this item. This is no
longer located in G:\. Verify the item's location and try again."

When this error occurs, Windows stops to detect my DataTraveler. I have
to disconnect and reconnect it and all happen again (It works perfect
until I put some file on it).

I tried formatting, connecting in other USB ports, disabling and
unistalling the device, changing drive letter, using another
DataTraveler and nothing solve this. DataTravelers work perfect in my
desktop PC with XP
The only way i can use it, is with a USB Hub that isn't USB 2.0 (It is
1.1) and there work perfect (but slow, obviously)

I tried with Windows Home Premium 64bits and with Windows 7 RC Build
7100 64bits and I got the same error message. My PC is TX2 1020us.
If anyone have a TX2 with Vista/Seven 64bits working and have not this
issue, could you copy yor usb drivers to pobe them with my notebook?

Thanks a lot

--
VictorV
Old May 5th 09, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Victor.

From the device name and your narrative, I assume the DataTraveler is a USB
flash drive. Right?

There are two things you can do in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) that
might - or might not - help with your problem.

First, you can use DM to assign a specific letter to your drive, so that it
won't just look for the "first available" letter when you plug in this or
other devices. You can assign it (semi-)permanently to G: (or H: or X and
Windows will try to use that letter every time, and not assign that letter
to another device, even if that drive is absent.

Second, you can right-click on Disk 4 (or whatever number that device is
assigned in DM) and select Properties. On the Policies tab, make sure it is
still set to the Default: Optimize for quick removal, rather than for
performance, so that the cache will always be empty and you won't lose
anything if the plug is pulled without warning.

Please post back and let us know if this helped.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX