USB Drive can't be removed

Old May 7th 09, 02:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave T.[_2_]

Default USB Drive can't be removed

Aldo wrote:
Thanks for your answers. No, I insert the drive after I boot Windows.
This is a USB hard drive , not a Zip drive. Thanks for your help, maybe
I'll have to live with this problem, since I need this program.

I wonder if the "program" they're talking about is windows Explorer? I
have the same scenario on the LaCie 150 gig external that I use for
backup, and when the backup is done I like to shut it off and disconnect
for storage but I get the same message.

Dave T.
Old May 7th 09, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Janupagla

I -use a ZIP USB Drive for my music collection. When I finish hearing
music, I try to- *...* -tried closing every program and even disabling
my antivirus without- success. *...* -music, I try to remove the USB
and get a message about a program still- -using it. I tried closing
every program and even disabling my antivirus- *...*

--
Janupagla

'orthodontist raleigh' (http://www.raleighdentist.com)
'suv limo in chicago' (http://www.chicagolimousine1.com)

Old May 7th 09, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank-FL

"Janupagla" wrote in
message ...

I -use a ZIP USB Drive for my music collection. When I finish
hearing
music, I try to- *...* -tried closing every program and even
disabling
my antivirus without- success. *...* -music, I try to remove the
USB
and get a message about a program still- -using it. I tried
closing
every program and even disabling my antivirus- *...*

I had a USB external drive exhibiting the same behavior. I
corrected this by not sharing this drive.

Old May 10th 09, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aldo

Thanks, I'll try this.

"Frank-FL" escribió en el mensaje de
"Janupagla" wrote in
message ...

Old May 11th 09, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

"Dave T." wrote in message
Aldo wrote:
Thanks for your answers. No, I insert the drive after I boot Windows.
This is a USB hard drive , not a Zip drive. Thanks for your help, maybe
I'll have to live with this problem, since I need this program.

I wonder if the "program" they're talking about is windows Explorer? I
have the same scenario on the LaCie 150 gig external that I use for
backup, and when the backup is done I like to shut it off and disconnect
for storage but I get the same message.

Dave T.

I also think it is related to the same locked files/handles issue that has
been around since XP. Being media files in this case the media library
indexing could be involved too. I've used Process explorer to find file
handles that shouldn't be open on a USB drive and closed them manually. That
at least worked to release the drive.

Old May 16th 09, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aldo

I tried using this program, but it's a little difficult for me. Could you
please explain a little more about how to find those "file handles"? TIA

Old May 28th 09, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

Stopped watching this thread after the previous post...

In Process Explorer, make sure that the lower pane is enabled and set to
show file handles-- from the View menu select Show Lower Pane and under
that - select Lower Pane View -Show Handles.

Then also from the top menu - select Find- Find Handle or Dll -- Enter in
the driver letter of the locked drive ( eg. E: ) The program will search for
all open handles or DLLs on E: drive. When you click on each item it
displays in the Find list Process Explorer will also highlight the same item
in the lower pane where you can right-click and close the open handle. When
all the open file handles are closed you should be able to shut down the USB
drive normally.

Old June 13th 09, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cheryl

I think this is actually a bug in the Vista USB driver, but I haven't found
any fix indication for it.