USB Drive can't be removed

Old May 3rd 09, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aldo

Default USB Drive can't be removed

I use a ZIP USB Drive for my music collection. When I finish hearing music,
I try to remove the USB and get a message about a program still using it. I
tried closing every program and even disabling my antivirus without success.
It worked fine with Windows XP. Any ideas? TIA.

Old May 4th 09, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Badger[_3_]

Have you tried disconnecting the Zip drive and rebooting?

Old May 4th 09, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aldo

Thanks for your answer. The problem is I'm working in several other files,
so I don't want to close my session in the first place, much less do I want
to reboot.

Old May 4th 09, 03:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"Aldo" wrote in message
I use a ZIP USB Drive for my music collection. When I finish hearing
music, I try to remove the USB and get a message about a program still
using it. I tried closing every program and even disabling my antivirus
without success. It worked fine with Windows XP. Any ideas? TIA.

Try to eject the disk using the eject command from Windows Explorer or from
Computer (right click on the drive letter for the option.) Once the disk is
ejected it should free up the remove the USB lock that you are experiencing.
I have a USB ZIP drive but haven't tried it with Vista yet. I have had to
do this with XP however and it worked most times. Of course you may have
issues with the eject for the drive also if the OS has locked the drive and
I have had issues with this in the past also with XP.

If you are not writing to the drive, only reading your music files you
should have no problem just unplugging the USB drive. The caution for using
the safe remove option is normally used to ensure that all data being
written to a drive has been written prior to removal of the drive.

Old May 4th 09, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aldo

Thanks for your answer. The eject option gives me the same message about a
program still using it. By the way, of course I checked the task manager and
my music program (MediaMonkey) was completely closed.

Old May 4th 09, 05:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"Aldo" wrote in message
[...]

You still have some program locking access to the drive and it is probably
you music program. ( I have just hooked up my USB Zip to Vista to test a
few things and it works good.)

Try rebooting the computer to clear any access to the drive. Immediately
try to eject the disk. If it is not released at that time, you have a
program that is loading at startup that is locking the drive and you will
need to find out that program.

If the first test is successful in removing the disk, try using Windows
Media Player (I know, I don't like it too much either) to play a few of the
songs and see if the drive is locked after playing them. If not, I would
suspect that the player you are using is still keeping something locked in
the system even when closed. You may be able to find it in the Task
Manager, processes and see if you see anything running there related to your
music player.

Old May 5th 09, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aldo

If I log out of my session, and of course if I reboot Vista, I can eject my
HD without problems. However I don't want to close all my work just to
remove the HD. I would like to know which program locks the HD. I know about
a few programs that give this information in Windows XP (like unlockit,
etc.), but I don't know how to find this in Vista. As I said before, the
task manager doesn't show anything related to my music program.

Old May 5th 09, 04:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Badger[_3_]

Did you boot originally with the Zip drive having a disk in it?
If you did, then the Zip drive is controlling the action of your computer.
The only recourse is to remove the disk and shutdown, then reboot without
the disk in the Zip drive.

Old May 7th 09, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Janupagla

I -use a ZIP USB Drive for my music collection. When I finish hearing
music, I try to- *...* -tried closing every program and even disabling
my antivirus without- success. *...* -music, I try to remove the USB

--
Janupagla

'orthodontist raleigh' (http://www.raleighdentist.com)
'suv limo in chicago' (http://www.chicagolimousine1.com)

Old May 7th 09, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank-FL

"Janupagla" wrote in
message ...

I -use a ZIP USB Drive for my music collection. When I finish
hearing
music, I try to- *...* -tried closing every program and even
disabling
my antivirus without- success. *...* -music, I try to remove the
USB
and get a message about a program still- -using it. I tried
closing
every program and even disabling my antivirus- *...*

I had a USB external drive exhibiting the same behavior. I
corrected this by not sharing this drive.