Which notebook for Vista 64 ?

Old January 18th 07, 11:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AlanKohl

Default Which notebook for Vista 64 ?

Which notebook processors support Vista 64 natively ?
Is it only the Turion, or are there any Intel notebook processors out there
that will allow to address the entire 64-bit memory space without using any
tricks / emulation / re-indexing ?

Old January 18th 07, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

I have to agree with Mike. I recently purchased notebook expressly for
running Vista. You have to do a lot of research to make sure whatever you
buy has drivers available. You will also run into the memory problems he
talks about. Very few notebooks have more than two slots for RAM. This means
you are effectively limited to 2 GB at present and as 2 GB DIMMs become
available 4 GB. Currently if you can find 2 GB DIMMs each one will cost more
than you paid for the notebook. All that said I purchased an Acer 5100-5400
(Turion TL50) upgraded to 2 GB. Initially I installed Vista Ultimate x64.
All the hardware was supported with built in drivers except the web cam and
the card reader. I have since switched to Vista Business x86 because I don't
really need Media Center on a notebook and with x64 I couldn't sync to my
Treo phone.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old January 18th 07, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AlanKohl

EM64T does sound like some sort of emulation to me.

The max physical size on the notebook isn't what matters, I need the system
to be able to address all the virtual memory available. And the max virtual
memory size goes way beyond the 2 Gig of physical memory and the 4 Gig of
addressing limitation on 32 bits processors.

Is there a place where I could learn about the limitations of EM64T compared
to a true 64 bits processor ?

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

"AlanKohl" wrote in message
Which notebook processors support Vista 64 natively ?
Is it only the Turion, or are there any Intel notebook processors
out there
that will allow to address the entire 64-bit memory space without
using any
tricks / emulation / re-indexing ?

Any AMD 64 processor or Intel Processor with EM64T will natively
support x64 operating systems such as the x64 (64-bit) versions of
Windows Vista.
Of course your bigger problem will be finding a notebook capable of
having more then 4Gb of memory installed so your use of the x64 OS on
it may be irrelevant. Also you have to ensure that you have x64
drivers for all hardware components in your notebook - which is not
something a lot of vendors are bothering with as given the memory
limitations on most notebooks using x64 is pointless.

--

Mike Brannigan

Old January 18th 07, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AlanKohl

OK, got it. EM64T is the same as AMD's solution. Thanks for your help.

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

"AlanKohl" wrote in message
EM64T does sound like some sort of emulation to me.

The max physical size on the notebook isn't what matters, I need the
system
to be able to address all the virtual memory available. And the max
virtual
memory size goes way beyond the 2 Gig of physical memory and the 4
Gig of
addressing limitation on 32 bits processors.

Is there a place where I could learn about the limitations of EM64T
compared
to a true 64 bits processor ?

EM64T - Extended Memory 64-bit Technology.

This is what the x64 architecture is about - it is basically extended
memory addressing on an x86.
Maybe you need to read more about how AMD and Intel have done 64-bit
memory addressing
see the vendors web sites for lengthy discussions on how they achieve
what the general public see as x64 architecture, which in both Intel
and AMD terms is extended memory addressing.
These are the processors that will meet your needs.

True 64-bit processors are devices like the Intel Itanium II chip and
not anything by AMD or the x64 (EM64T) chips Intel make.
You don't usually get "true" 64-bit CPUs e.g. IA64 in laptops

--

Mike Brannigan

Old January 19th 07, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mlai

Are you sure that you want to have and make use a 4GB paging file on your
laptop with 2GB or less RAM? I can't image good performance there.........

Old January 19th 07, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Use of more memory is only one of the many benefits of using a 64 bit OS on
a 64 bit sysem. One big benefit is that since a 64 bit system has all 64
bit registers and data moving insructions that a 64 bit OS can move data
when required in 1/2 as many machine cycles as when using 32 bit registers
and instructions and this benefit is independent of the amount of memory or
of athe pplications them selves running 64 bit instructions.

Old January 19th 07, 11:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ML

Except with Core micro-architecture which Intel has stated that in 64-bit,
the marco-fusion and some other performance boosting feature under 32-bit
will not function.......

Old January 20th 07, 08:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AlanKohl

I need to test enterprise applications on that notebook, and I need to be
able to address the entire virtual address space, regardless of how much
physical memory is currently installed. Regarding the paging file, there's a
Vaio notebook out there with 2 hard drives in a RAID configuration, 16 Mb
throughput per second. So I don't think the size of the paging file is going
to be a problem. I don't need any extra drivers at this time.
And by the way, it won't take more than a few months to have those 64 bits
drivers available, at which time 32 bits notebooks will look really old.
I plan my notebook to be operational for 3 years.

Old January 20th 07, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

I agree. I wouldn't buy a computer (notebook or desktop) that wasn't 64 bit
capable. As soon as Palm has a Vista x64 compatible driver I'll be switching
back to Vista x64.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

news

Old March 24th 07, 12:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chaliesan1

Alan,

Just bought that acer 5100-5033
Significant it might be to your question about 64 bits.
The Tech specs for it show only 40 bit hardware adress lines.
I have not looked much yet, but the way hardware designs go.
Thats where you get the extra mem on the bus.
I have not seen 64/64 yet.
May be some out there.....
Keep looking.
Usually it means complete redesign to get 64/64

Chaliesan1