CD/DVD Failing?

Old May 6th 09, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
susa320

Default CD/DVD Failing?

I use to be able to just put a cd or dvd in it and it would do just as I
have set in Auto-play...now it does nothing. I have to now open the
drive letter E manually. Sometimes it will open windows explorer and
show the files on it.

Other times it pops up the box to name and burn a cd/dvd, even when the
cd/dvd in it already has something on it. Before it does that it is like
windows explorer is beginning to open but just flashes....if that makes
sense.

Won't read info and at times only partially. I have burned DVD's and
they have no sound, then I'll burn it again and it has sound. Same
problem burning music CD's some play, some don't. Also can't download
certain software. Plays a Video one time and not the next.

When it isn't recognizing the CD/DVD and I get the "pop up" to burn
one, but I can just keep ejecting it and pushing back in and it then
will recognize it after several tries.

Someone said I need to take the computer apart and check to make sure
all wires are connected properly first.

Are there any fixes. Could it be a registry issue? Or does it sound
like I need to replace it? Wonder if I disabled some service it needs?
:sarc:

In system info, the Transfer Rate is at -1.00 kbytes, is that right?
I have a music CD playing right now. I had to insert it 3 times.

Under Device manager here is the info:
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
Device Manager says working properly and has latest driver. No rollback
(greyed out).

HP"s Description:
Optical Drive
* 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
* Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the
DL technology
* Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in
order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type UNKNOWN
Name HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L SCSI CdRom Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 1
PNP Device ID
SCSI\CDROM&VEN_HL-DT-ST&PROD_DVD-RAM_GH10L\4&18252D01&0&010100
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.0.6001.18000, 65.50
KB (67,072 bytes), 1/20/2008 8:23 PM)

I'm about ready just to go buy a new computer...LOL!

Thanks In Advance

--
susa320
Old May 7th 09, 10:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
THE C. [MSFT MVP]

Try uninstalling it in the device manager, then reboot computer to see if
this helps you. If that dowsn't work try a lens cleaner. You can always buy a
new burner at NewEgg.com for under 25 dollars with some of the models having
free shipping. Good Luck.
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Make it a great day!

Charles Richmond

Old May 7th 09, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
susa320

Thanks for the prompt reply, Charles.

That didn't work, I did go ahead download the driver at HP and install
it again. Still the same.

Bought a Lens Cleaner and ran it a few times. Still wasn't starting up.
But. it wasn't popping up the "burn CD" dialogue box anymore tho...so
did something. I have a hard time wondering how running those actually
clean it. But it did. So that fixed half of it.

I read on another forum to make sure CDRom auto play was set to 1 in
the registry...it was at 0.
{HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\CDRom}Now it's
working so far, haven't tried all media yet.

Wasn't that April Fools Day worm suppose to attack through the Auto
Play? I'm just wondering if one of the fixes they had out for that may
have changed that key.

I have so many registry errors and other things. I am thinking about
running the recovery discs. I'm going through my data and seeing what I
want to save, and backing up.

Seriously thinking about changing my screen name to "1402 Error".
I don't know what has happened to all my permissions. ('nother post)

Thanks again, I would of never thought to just clean it, not that old.

Boy o Boy - and the new Ccleaner wiped out all my passwords in Firefox.

--
susa320