1 TB External Hard Drive Problem

Old May 10th 09, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Default 1 TB External Hard Drive Problem

You are right. I strayed from the path of it being an external hard drive.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"RalfG" wrote in message
External drives don't typically show up in BIOS. I can't say if that's
true for E-SATA but USB and firewire don't. Those don't show up anywhere
until after Windows loads their device drivers. The external drive should
have entries in Device Manager. As well as being listed under Disk drives
it would also be listed under USB controllers as a USB Mass storage
device, or under IEEE 1394 devices. Not sure where-all E-SATA drives show
up.

Some external USB harddrives are not detected properly if they are
connected and running while the computer is booting up. In that case
Windows installs a dummy unidentified device driver in its place. Cycling
the power on the drive often does nothing to help Windows find it because
the unidentified device driver is actually on the USB port that the
harddrive is connected to. Moving the drive to a different USB port would
be one workaround. First choice would be to uninstall the unidentified
USB device, turn off the drive then reboot. When Windows is loaded turn on
the external drive and it should be detected properly again as a USB Mass
storage device.

After Windows redetects the drive it should hopefully reappear in the
Drive Management list. If not you may need to use the external drive
manufacturer's utility to partition the drive.

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Every computer has it's own methodology to get into the bios. Turn off
the computer. Turn it back on. Watch the screen carefully. You will see a
message along the line of "press "whatever key" to enter the bios. Then
look around the bios for a page that shows the drives connected to the
computer.

Exit the bios **WITHOUT** saving any changes you may have inadvertently
made.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
I don't know how to check it in the bios. How about a helping hand here
with a brief instruction on how to do that?

--

Walt

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Again, is it listed in the bios? If not the operating system can never
see it either.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
In device manager under disk drives are 6 USB devices.
1. - ST3250310AS ATA device
2. - Teac USB HS-CF card USB device
3. - Teac USB HS-MS card USB device
4. - Teac USB HS-SD card USB device
5. - Teac USB HS-xD/SM card USB device
6. - WDC WDIO EAVS-00D7B1

It allowed me to delete the top and bottom one. The other 4
reinstalled as fast as I could uninstall them. After rebooting this
did not help either. The external drive is not listed in computer or
disk management. There has to be a way to get it back.

--

Walt

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
You are saying that the drive itself is not visible in Vista's Disk
Management utility?

Go to device manager. Go to drives and uninstall/delete the drive.
Shut down the computer. When you restart is the drive seen in device
manager after a redetection?

If not, see if the drive is seen in the computers bios. What is the
drives designation?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
Rebooting didn't help.

--

Walt

"Richard Urban" wrote in
message ...
Reboot. See if it is now visible in Disk Management.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
I got a large external hard drive today and it's instructions say
to go to disk management and do format and partition. I messed up
and deleted the drives volume. Now it is not listed in disk
management. I looked everywhere to get it back and can't figure it
out. How do I make Vista recognize this drive again so I can
partition and format it?

--

Walt

Old May 11th 09, 03:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]

Under universal serial bus controllers I found 2 USB mass storage devices
and removed them. I then rebooted the computer and it replaced the drivers
for those 2 devices. I then plugged in 1 TB drive and checked under computer
and disk management and it did not appear. Nothing was listed under disk
drives. There were no IEEE 1394 devices listed anywhere. I sent a email to
the seller too see if he could give me some advice. Maybe I should contact
the manufacturer.

--

Walt

Old May 11th 09, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]

I figured it out. Under disk management at the top of window is listed
drives C: & D: which are 2 partitions on my internal hard drive. Down below
in window are listed disks 0 thru disk 6. Disk 0 is my internal hard drive.
I then highlighted each disk and right clicked and then clicked on
properties. I did this for each disk until I found my 1 TB external hard
drive. I then put cursor in blank area to right of that disk and right
clicked. It then allowed me to create a volume and format it. That fixed it.
I knew there was a way. Thanks for every ones input sometimes you have to
figure it out yourself.

Old May 11th 09, 02:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You threw me through a loop by saying that the drive was not even seen by
disk management.

We/I can only work with what we/I are presented with.

Old May 11th 09, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Walt.

Congratulations! ;^}

My I suggest that you assign a name, or label, to each volume (primary
partition, logical drive, flash drive, etc.); the name will be written to
the drive (or other device) and will not change as you shift the device from
one port to another. Drive letters are not written to the device; they are
transient and can shift each time we reboot or each time we unplug or plug
in a USB flash drive. The name can be assigned in several ways; I usually
do it in Disk Management in the Properties screen for each device. So my
"Win7x64" volume is always "Win7x64", even if Win7 calls it Drive X: and
WinXP calls it Drive D:.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old May 12th 09, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]

Don't take me the wrong way Richard. Without people like you to help me with
my computer problems I wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn so much
about computers in the last year. I consider myself way above average when
it comes to computer knowledge. Disk management I learned about from you
from a posting you made on 4/28/09. I'm still learning how to use it
properly. I thought it would be listed in the top window. I wasn't even sure
what the listings were in the bottom window. By messing around in disk
management I was able to figure it out. Thanks for your input.

Old May 12th 09, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Richard was referring to your post of the 9th which said
"
The external drive is not listed in computer or in disk management.
"