Asus sata dvdrw driving me insane

Old May 10th 09, 09:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
danjohn1

Default Asus sata dvdrw driving me insane

Hi guys..
I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following .
I removed my ide burner to use in my other computer and purchased a new
sony sata dvd burner. Installed burner and bios as well as Vista
recognized the drive but whenever i inserted a disk(cd or dvd) explorer
crashed.

Tried everything even the microsoft fixes. I returned drive this
morning and got a sata Asus drive . Eveything get recognized but
occasionally it will cause explorer to crash as well. Have reinstalled
windows with ide burner as even when i boot from bios with vista disk it
will only get so far and then freeze.

Even with fresh install it does work but hangs sometimes(to many) and i
have to go to device manager and disable then enable for it to work
again, Or hard reset if explorer has crashed.
Have updated firmware in drive

any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks Dan

--
danjohn1
Old May 10th 09, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pupick

The problem is probably not in the two drives as both cause similar
problems.
Problems like this are most often caused by failing hard drive or failing
power supply (or power supply that is simply inadequate, which describes
nearly every power supply used in off the shelf retail computer boxes).
If you can boot the computer the first thing you should do is back up your
data somehow.
If you are unable to troubleshoot the problem on your own you will have to
use a computer repair facility.

Old May 10th 09, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
westom

On May 10, 5:04 am, danjohn1 wrote:
Tried everything even the microsoft fixes. I returned drive this
morning and got a sata Asus drive . Everything get recognized but
occasionally it will cause explorer to crash as well.

So the manufacturer provided no diagnostics to confirm the hardware
is OK? Instead left you guessing it must be this or must be that
or ...

Well, the power supply 'system' which is more than just a supply is
one of the few items that can actually crash a good multitasking OS.
30 seconds with the multimeter would answer your questions
immediately. In you case, while trying to access drive, measure
voltages on any one of purple, orange, red, and yellow wires. Those
voltages must exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7. Any voltage too low only
when the drive is installed tells you which voltage needs a current
that is higher. IOW read the current for that voltage. Get a power
supply that provides more current on that voltage. Then use the meter
to confirm the new supply is sufficient.

Remember, a defective power supply can still boot a computer. Only
the meter can see the defect. A retail computer supply rated at maybe
350 watts is the same supply hyped to computer assemblers as 500
watts. Those watt numbers are not useful. Useful is current for each
voltage.

Meanwhile, if voltages are sufficient (after confirming those
numbers here), then move on to other suspects. Again, the suspects
are few.