*Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(

Old May 12th 09, 01:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
xxsassxx31

Default *Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(

You guys I feel like crying. How can I backup if I have no administrator
access in windows to do anything? When I run the VISTA DVD in boot mode
it does not give me the option to "upgrade" and i am stuck with that and
the only option it gives me is Custom (advanced); in Windows it needs
Administrative permission....I tried everything read everything these
are my important work files [image:
http://www.vistax64.com/images/smilies/frown.gif]. What can I do?

--
xxsassxx31
Old May 12th 09, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
xxsassxx31

I have Hiren's boot cd 9.4....can i do anything to backup my files via a
dvd before I reinstall clean format?

--
xxsassxx31
Old May 12th 09, 03:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

Default *Spent Entire Sunday* Your assumptions wrong; do this please.

"xxsassxx31" wrote in message

You guys I feel like crying. How can I backup if I have no administrator
access in windows to do anything? When I run the VISTA DVD in boot mode
it does not give me the option to "upgrade" and i am stuck with that and
the only option it gives me is Custom (advanced); in Windows it needs
Administrative permission....I tried everything read everything these
are my important work files [image:
http://www.vistax64.com/images/smilies/frown.gif]. What can I do?

--

xxsassxx31--

Don't give up hope because you have not used bcedit yet nor have you
installed and run SubInACL. You're assumptions are off point in that System
Restore has zilch to do with running the SubInACL tool, and X:\sources has
nothing to do with running the bootrec switches from the command prompt.

" can't work on this tool I assume
now..." Yes_ you_can; Why in the world would you assume that.

You've invoked system restore in connection with SubInACL. They have
nothing to do with each other.

System restore is a registry snapshot to restore your Windows OS to the reg
settings at a point in time. It can undo mistakes, installs, etc.

SubInACL is a tool to restore your system to default permissions.,

You also asked

For " Those a

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuild BCD"

do I do this in X:\Sources or do I change it to C:\?

You don't need to change the command prompt to X:\sources at all. In fact,
when you put up that command prompt you are selecting that command prompt
from the grey Startup Repair menu that I screenshot linked for you and you
just run those command from the default command prompt. I'm not sure how you
made the jump from the bootrec switches to X:\sources or why if you
started referring to something that in my mind associates with Win PE and
the boot image file that you boot from in WDS.

This is the startup repair menu where you choose the command prompt and
simply type the bootrec switches at the default command prompt that the link
on the startup repair menu gives you.

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...airstartup.htm

You haven't finished using what I gave you yet. I'm sorry but I could not
get back to this until now.

1) You haven't used the SubInACL tool and I don't know why not!!!! It has
***nothing to do with System Restore at all.***
System Restore has nothing to do with System Permissions other than they
both happen to use the word System.

I don't know what kept you from installing and running SubInACL or how you
made the connection to System Restore. You don't need special permissions
to install and run it.

A tip about system restore. I've seen it work from one safe mode and not
one of the other two. I assume from what you said you can't tap F8 once per
second to reach the Windows Advanced Options Menul Make sure of this.

The SubInACL tools has zip over zero over nothing nohow to do with System
Restore. If you have any problem downloading and installing it using the
MSDN instructions are the MSFT download instructions let me know. When you
run it the cmd prompt will come up and you'll see a SubInACL lable on the
cmd prompt as it runs.

Please get the SubInACL tool installed and run it.

If you've tapped F8 to get to that menu, make sure you're doing it correctly
by starting your pc and tapping it once per second until the F8 menu starts
to appear.

I explained how to run the bootrec commands, and there is also a system
restore option you can choose on that grey Startup Repair menu if they don't
work.

Good luck,

CH

Old May 12th 09, 03:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"xxsassxx31" wrote in message

I have Hiren's boot cd 9.4....can i do anything to backup my files via a
dvd before I reinstall clean format?

--
xxsassxx31

You can take my directions and execute them before you wipe the box. If
you can boot to Windows, you can always back up and I suggest you back up to
DVD.

I much prefer simply burning whatever you backup to a DVD to any of the
tools Hiren's offers for backup because those backups can corrupt. And when
you burn files to a DVD if you can boot to Windows, what you see is what you
get.

Best,

CH

Old May 12th 09, 03:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
xxsassxx31

Hi buddy, thanks for your response. I think I confused you....I am not
able to use system restore because I have nothing to restore! My system
restore is empty. As for that tool SubInACL I can't run it because it
asks for "administrative" permissions which I lack because of my guest
access on my windows vista when i log-in...i will continue to try but is
there anyway maybe u have im we can talk? i dont kn ow what i'm going
to do if i don't get this to work tonight..

--
xxsassxx31
Old May 12th 09, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
xxsassxx31

if i can't read the file folder because of my permissions, how can i
burn all those files to a dvd? i am at the point to where i just want to
burn the damn files. i followed your instructions and now i am just
going crazy now spent last 2 days on this...thx again so much for all
your help

--
xxsassxx31
Old May 12th 09, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"xxsassxx31" wrote in message

Hi buddy, thanks for your response. I think I confused you....I am not
able to use system restore because I have nothing to restore! My system
restore is empty. As for that tool SubInACL I can't run it because it
asks for "administrative" permissions which I lack because of my guest
access on my windows vista when i log-in...i will continue to try but is
there anyway maybe u have im we can talk? i dont kn ow what i'm going
to do if i don't get this to work tonight..

--
xxsassxx31

1) Can't use SR because you don't have restore points. Got that now. In
Vista, it always makes sense to check your restore points every once in a
while and manually make them. There are also many links you can google for
as to how to manage the space SR takes up in Vista.

2) SubInACL is asking for administrator privileges and you don't have them.
I'll take your word on this because I don't have time to install and run it
now.

2) What happened though, or haven't you tried

a) the bootrec commands I gave you from the Vista Startup Repair menu
b) You can tap F8 to get to the Win Adv Options Menu and still can try Last
Known Good Configuration. You don't need any restore points to use it.

http://supcontent.gateway.com/suppor...ootOptions.gif

It seems hard here to get people to tell you what they've tried that you
have repeatedly told them to try and what they have not tried.

Best.

CH

Old May 12th 09, 05:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
xxsassxx31

2) What happened though, or haven't you tried

a) the bootrec commands I gave you from the Vista Startup Repair menu
b) You can tap F8 to get to the Win Adv Options Menu and still can try
Last
Known Good Configuration. You don't need any restore points to use it.

http://supcontent.gateway.com/suppor...ootOptions.gif

It seems hard here to get people to tell you what they've tried that
you
have repeatedly told them to try and what they have not tried.

Best.

CH

Trust me my friend....I have tried everything you have said multiple
times. I am sorry I have not expressed myself eloquently on here but I
think I am going crazy because I have been 2-days in a row on this.

From the Vista Startup menu I went to that msdos prompt as well and
tried the commands you had given to me. I will try it one more time as
well in a minute but I followed exactly what you had told me. I am
thinking of pulling my hair out now. I am not that dumb with computers
so trust me, I have followed your instructions as well as other ones I
was looking at on the net...

All I want to do is backup my files....using that boot software I do
see my files but I don't know how to save them. Is there anyway from the
boot area to be able to upload the files to a file server like
mediafire? I just want to get this done with and reinstall vista

--
xxsassxx31
Old May 12th 09, 05:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"xxsassxx31" wrote in message

if i can't read the file folder because of my permissions, how can i
burn all those files to a dvd? i am at the point to where i just want to
burn the damn files. i followed your instructions and now i am just
going crazy now spent last 2 days on this...thx again so much for all
your help

--
xxsassxx31

I'm confused as to whether you can boot; I assume you can.

If you have a folder, and permissions are giving you a problem, you need to
take control of the permissions in that folder. I understand full well that
your permissions are screwed up. But you should be able to right click that
folderpropertiessecurity tab and follow these steps to grant a user
profile permissions to that folder.

http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how-...ders-in-vista/

Do we have to use "enhanced interrogation techniques to get you to answer
the questions I posed about the other means of fixing things I gave you?
Why do you ignore those questions? Again:

You have ignored trying these and answering my questions about why you
haven't tried them.:

Old May 12th 09, 06:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"xxsassxx31" wrote in message

2) What happened though, or haven't you tried

a) the bootrec commands I gave you from the Vista Startup Repair menu
b) You can tap F8 to get to the Win Adv Options Menu and still can try
Last
Known Good Configuration. You don't need any restore points to use it.

http://supcontent.gateway.com/suppor...ootOptions.gif

It seems hard here to get people to tell you what they've tried that
you
have repeatedly told them to try and what they have not tried.

Best.

CH

Trust me my friend....I have tried everything you have said multiple
times. I am sorry I have not expressed myself eloquently on here but I
think I am going crazy because I have been 2-days in a row on this.

From the Vista Startup menu I went to that msdos prompt as well and
tried the commands you had given to me. I will try it one more time as
well in a minute but I followed exactly what you had told me. I am
thinking of pulling my hair out now. I am not that dumb with computers
so trust me, I have followed your instructions as well as other ones I
was looking at on the net...

All I want to do is backup my files....using that boot software I do
see my files but I don't know how to save them. Is there anyway from the
boot area to be able to upload the files to a file server like
mediafire? I just want to get this done with and reinstall vista

--
xxsassxx31

I have never thought for a moment you don't have decent windows skills, but
in trying to fix your box, I have tried to make sure that you have done
everything I have suggested. I typed bcdedit when I meant the bootrec
commands in one of the last two posts. Sorry for that but it's been a very
long day and now the next one.

I'm still confused.

***Can you get into Windows? If you can, what can you access???***

What specifically can you do if you can get to Windows Vista desktop and
what can't you do?

Why weren't you able to use my link to change permissions so you can open a
folder? Check out the link on taking permission control of a folder.

CH