Multiboot Win7, uninstall later?

Old May 11th 09, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
DesoShade

Default Multiboot Win7, uninstall later?

Ok here's the thing. I already have my computer set up to multiboot XP
and Vista. I've decided to try out Windows 7. What I have planned to
do, is just pop in another hard drive, formatt it, and install windows 7
onto it, leaving my system a multiboot of WinXP, Vista and 7. Now since
Win7 is just a beta, I'll not want to leave it on my system when a new
RC comes out, it expires, or I purchase the full version.

So my question is, if I install win7 as my 3rd multiboot option, will
it be possible to uninstall it at a later date without affecting my
other winxp and vista partitions? I'll probably have to run a fix mbr
command, right?

--
DesoShade
Old May 11th 09, 11:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Windows 7 uses the same boot loader as Windows Vista so, assuming you
installed XP first followed by Vista and then Windows 7 all you should need
to do to remove Windows 7 is format your hard drive. Your boot menu will
still show three options to boot into either XP, Vista or Windows 7 but you
can remove the Windows 7 boot entry by opening MSConfig, clicking on the
boot tab highlighting the Windows 7 entry and clicking the Delete button.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

Old May 12th 09, 08:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
DL[_3_]

Can I butt in here please;
I have winxp installed, but am considering installing Win7 RC on a spare
drive. My thoughts were to disconnect the winxp boot drive, install win7 to
a new drive, then use the mobo option to select which drive to boot from,
once all drives reconnected; does that appear logical?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote in message
Windows 7 uses the same boot loader as Windows Vista so, assuming you
installed XP first followed by Vista and then Windows 7 all you should
need to do to remove Windows 7 is format your hard drive. Your boot menu
will still show three options to boot into either XP, Vista or Windows 7
but you can remove the Windows 7 boot entry by opening MSConfig, clicking
on the boot tab highlighting the Windows 7 entry and clicking the Delete
button.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
the
mail/post..

Old May 12th 09, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
peter

That's how I am dual booting ..Win7 on one drive XP on another.
F12 during boot process brings up small screen which lets me pick the drive
to boot from.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old May 12th 09, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
DesoShade

Cool. Seems easier than I thought it would be. My how technology
advances.

--
DesoShade
Old May 12th 09, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
DL[_3_]

Ta

"DL" wrote in message
[...]

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
any

Old May 13th 09, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Sorry for the delay in responding DL, it looks as if Peter has answered your
query, but just to confirm, yes your suggestion does appear logical and, in
fact, many users do exactly that when installing on two hard drives.