Lost "Repair My Computer" Option in F8 Boot Advanced Startup Options Menu

Old May 12th 09, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
ThunderStorm

Default Lost "Repair My Computer" Option in F8 Boot Advanced Startup Options Menu

Hello Guys

I have a one month old Toshiba Satellite. It turned out that a Service
or Startup kept making my system "Hang" at my Vista Welcome Screen or I
was only able to get to the desktop before it would freeze and the wheel
kept spinning, and a stupid Toshiba rep never gave me this option to
stop service or disable programs until I did it myself! Anyway I fixed
it by going to MSCONFIG and disabling all STARTUP programs (yes all) and
Stopping three Symantec related SERVICES.

Here is the issue now.... Up until yesterday (before I was able to
MSCONFIG myself out of the whole mess), upon pressing F8 repeatedly I
was always able to get to the "Advanced Boot Option", which till then
also gave me the option to "Repair My Computer" and hence Run Recovery
Options and other Restore options etc. etc., That first "Repair My
Computer" option has NOW mysteriously dissappeared from the F8 Advanced
Boot Menu and I cannot get to the option to "Reset to Factory Settings"
or any of those other options there. When I called Toshiba again to ask
them where the option went they told me since there is nothing wrong
with the computer anymore, I will not be offered that option until the
next time something goes wrong. :/?

I hate to say is but there seems something strangely inaccurate with
that statement. Nowhere in the Windows Help does it say that the the
Repair My Computer Options would not come up during "Peacetime." Windows
Help says if you it came installed on your computer you can get to it by
pressing F8. Can someone clarify whether what this rep told me is true?
I don't think my Boot partition is damaged. I could swear I saw some
other Options there in the "Repair My Computer" menu which could also
apply during "Peacetime" or hold true during an otherwise "trouble-free"
time.
Is there another way for me to bring up this Repair Utility? (Pressing
0 / Zero or "C" didn't work either since I tried with the rep and we
couldn't find it in Setup Utility or by pressing F11)

[In addition I am unable to System Restore to any point before this
whole mess to see if that brings it up but that is another story ]

My system crashed again today and I was not given the option to "Repair
My System" by pressing F8 on startup.
The only options I got are
-Safe mode
-Safe mode with networking
-Start normally
-Enable bootlogging
-Disable Driver signup
-something about VGA Resolution
-and a couple of other gobbledy-gunks but no "Repair My Computer"
option. That used to be the first one at the top on this list.

Since I am now back in my computer I am able to use the Toshiba Utility
"Recovery Disc Creator" on 3 DVDs so that is not the problem [although I
have not yet burned one ]. I'm just trying to figure out why I can't
get to the Pre-installed Recovery Options on my computer anymore. Kindly
Re-read my question and respond.

Again this is a new issue. Ever since my computer is up and running
again, for some reason I cannot find the "Repair My Computer" option on
the Advanced Boot Menu - it doesn't show at all while all the other
options still do. The tech said since there is nothing to fix it won't
show until next time it goes down (which actually it did again today but
that option no longer came up). somethings definitely wrong..
I'm going to try to burn the disc today and see if its successful. Any
pointers would be very very welcome as I am at wits end considering the
computer is only a month old but I already have a lot of data on it...
:cry:

--
ThunderStorm
Old May 12th 09, 01:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Patrick Keenan

"ThunderStorm" wrote in message

Hello Guys

I have a one month old Toshiba Satellite. It turned out that a Service
or Startup kept making my system "Hang" at my Vista Welcome Screen or I
was only able to get to the desktop before it would freeze and the wheel
kept spinning, and a stupid Toshiba rep never gave me this option to
stop service or disable programs until I did it myself! Anyway I fixed
it by going to MSCONFIG and disabling all STARTUP programs (yes all) and
Stopping three Symantec related SERVICES.

Try creating another user account, and log into that one. If it works,
your old user account is possibly corrupt.

[...]

You have an OEM install, so the boot options may vary from vendor to vendor.

Windows Help does not cover all the options on OEM builds. For example, on
XP Home help, you could find descriptions of the backup utility - but OEMs
did not always include the backup utility on XP Home installs.

In other words, your mileage may vary.

I don't think my Boot partition is damaged.

If your system boots, why would you think so?

I could swear I saw some
other Options there in the "Repair My Computer" menu which could also
apply during "Peacetime" or hold true during an otherwise "trouble-free"
time.
Is there another way for me to bring up this Repair Utility? (Pressing
0 / Zero or "C" didn't work either since I tried with the rep and we
couldn't find it in Setup Utility or by pressing F11)

No. If the OEM doesn't include it, the only other way to do this is with
an actual Vista Install DVD - the restore disks that you probably don't
have, but should order, won't offer this. They will only allow a system
"recovery".

You would have to use a DVD that matches the key type you have, ie an OEM
DVD. A retail DVD will not accept your key and the repair will halt.

[In addition I am unable to System Restore to any point before this
whole mess to see if that brings it up but that is another story ]

My system crashed again today and I was not given the option to "Repair
My System" by pressing F8 on startup.
The only options I got are
-Safe mode
-Safe mode with networking
-Start normally
-Enable bootlogging
-Disable Driver signup
-something about VGA Resolution
-and a couple of other gobbledy-gunks but no "Repair My Computer"
option. That used to be the first one at the top on this list.

Repairing should not be used lightly and is often inappropriate. It
replaces system files, and often does not fix problems. This is because
repair installs use most or all of the existing registry (as you can see
that you don't lose data, user accounts, or installed programs).

Problems that are located in the registry or aren't related to system files
are ignored.

Since I am now back in my computer I am able to use the Toshiba Utility
"Recovery Disc Creator" on 3 DVDs so that is not the problem [although I
have not yet burned one ].

You should do so, now. It's also not a bad idea to call the vendor and
order the install DVDs. This will not be free, and is worth it.

I'm just trying to figure out why I can't
get to the Pre-installed Recovery Options on my computer anymore. Kindly
Re-read my question and respond.

It's a question for Toshiba. OEMs are permitted to alter such things.

Again this is a new issue. Ever since my computer is up and running
again, for some reason I cannot find the "Repair My Computer" option on
the Advanced Boot Menu - it doesn't show at all while all the other
options still do. The tech said since there is nothing to fix it won't
show until next time it goes down (which actually it did again today but
that option no longer came up). somethings definitely wrong..
I'm going to try to burn the disc today and see if its successful. Any
pointers would be very very welcome as I am at wits end considering the
computer is only a month old but I already have a lot of data on it...

I would suggest that you back up your data, *now*, and keep it that way.
Copying it to DVD is a simple, though possibly slower, way of ensuring that
you have copies.

Do not rely on USB "thumb" drives for backup; they have a tendency to
suddenly permanently and irretrievably fail.

There are plenty of inexpensive, effective and easy to use backup
solutions. Do not rely on one single backup set and *always* test them to
verify that they are valid.

You might also mention the version of Vista you are using.

HTH
-pk

:cry:

--
ThunderStorm

Old May 13th 09, 11:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Agile Consulting

Elsewhere in our roundup Samsung's latest digital video camera has
a function you don't often see on video cameras: time-lapse. And
LG turns to wireless to ...{{http://farm3.static.flickr.com/
2267/3528224046_e714ac5373.jpg}}
Old May 13th 09, 12:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Agile Consulting

Technically, a computer is a programmable machine. This means it can
execute a programmed list of instructions and respond to new
instructions that it is given. Today, however, the term is most often
used to refer to the desktop and laptop computers that most people use.
{{http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3299/3525457052_7af8768a1d.jpg}}