Speaker Echo

Old May 12th 09, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Manny Weisbord

Default Speaker Echo

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

Every Desktop has an internal speaker Manny. This speaker is not as per say for
listening to music and etc but it is the speaker that formulates the beeps that are
the sounds for an error code. If you open your case you will also see a small 16
inch speaker on the inside of the front panel.

I fully KNOW that... but that little "beep" speaker is NOT the problem
- as YOU well know.

Also Micron manufactured Desktops that had internal speakers for sound installed

How many Micron computers are currently in use?
Old May 12th 09, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Woody

Are you using digital speakers on an analog output or

"Dan Kap" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion, Curious. Not only is there no built-in mic
anywhere, I've ensured that every single audio device, other than the
speakers, is disabled via the control panel. Have rebooted the computer
many times to make sure the changes have taken place.

Dan

"Curious" wrote in message
If the computer has a built in microphone is there any possibility that
it is enabled?

"Dan Kap" wrote in message
I have a brand new Gateway GT5694 desktop computer, using Windows Home
Premium (x64). I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers which I've plugged
into it, which worked very well with my previous XP computer. There's an
echo in the audio output that's so bad that speech is barely
intelligible. There's also mild distortion in music. Headsets work fine
when I switch to those; no echo at all. Speakers consist of a small left
and small right speaker, and a sub-woofer. They're powered speakers. The
speakers' green input plug (only one) is plugged into the green, speaker
output on the computer. I've tried all the other 3.5mm outputs, and none
of the other outputs work at all insofar as producing sound. I've tried
different settings in the Control Panel (Manage Audio Devices). Does
anyone have any ideas as to what's causing the echo and how I might fix
it?

Thanks!

Old May 14th 09, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

Since you don't have a microphone attached my first guess would be that
you've got one of the custom environment settings enabled in the Realtek
audio driver. The icon might not be enabled in the notification area but
there should be a Realtek applet in Control Panel. Look on the sound effects
tab for the environment selections. The default would be "none", with
several of the optional environments adding noticeable echo to one degree or
another.

If you can't fix it by changing the options you could try reinstalling or
updating the audio driver.

Old May 15th 09, 05:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dan Kap[_2_]

Ralf, that was it!! The culprit was, as you said, the Realtek HD Audio
Manager | Sound Effects. Don't ask me why, but it had been on "Bathroom" all
along. Changed it to "None," as you'd suggested, and the echo problem went
away immediately. So, thanks again!

Dan

Old May 15th 09, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gene E. Bloch

On Tue, 12 May 2009 12:08:24 -0500, Manny Weisbord wrote:

"Dan Kap" wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Gene. What are the "internal speakers," and how do I
manually turn them off? I'll try anything at this point! Via the Control
Panel, I've disabled every sound device the computer offers, other than the
speakers. But your suggestion may be one that I missed.

I think "Gene" blew that one out of his arse. I've not seen a desktop
with internal speakers EVER.

Then you might like to look at this computer. It is a desktop with internal
speakers. It is running Vista Home Premium x64, so it's not a relic of the
old days.

Of course, if you did see it, you'd have to give up your prejudice.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Old May 15th 09, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gene E. Bloch

That is very funny, IMO...Especially now that you know the answer :-)

Who would have thought? (RalfG, evidently.)

It looks like "Bathroom" must be the default setting, chosen for its
evident appropriateness. (Kidding, of course.)

Old May 16th 09, 12:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gene E. Bloch

*This* computer - the one I am using as I type.

Well, you guys are no fun :-) ...so I'll stop pulling your chains.

Sony Vaio VGC-JS130J.

Intel Dual Core 64-bit 2.5GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Vista Home Premium
x64.

With two (2) built-in speakers, in case you are wondering.

Also tons of crapware :-) ... I guess I should have typed :-(

Gino