Vista Banter

-   -   Speaker Echo (http://www.vistabanter.com/162161-speaker-echo.html)

Dan Kap May 12th 09 02:32 AM

Speaker Echo

I have a brand new Gateway GT5694 desktop computer, using Windows Home
Premium (x64). I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers which I've plugged
into it, which worked very well with my previous XP computer. There's an
echo in the audio output that's so bad that speech is barely intelligible.
There's also mild distortion in music. Headsets work fine when I switch to
those; no echo at all. Speakers consist of a small left and small right
speaker, and a sub-woofer. They're powered speakers. The speakers' green
input plug (only one) is plugged into the green, speaker output on the
computer. I've tried all the other 3.5mm outputs, and none of the other
outputs work at all insofar as producing sound. I've tried different
settings in the Control Panel (Manage Audio Devices). Does anyone have any
ideas as to what's causing the echo and how I might fix it?

Thanks!

Gene E. Bloch May 12th 09 03:10 AM

Speaker Echo

On Mon, 11 May 2009 19:32:58 -0700, Dan Kap wrote:

[...]

It sounds to me like you have to manually turn off the internal speakers.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Malcolm McCaffery May 12th 09 05:08 AM

Speaker Echo

Have you tried gateway support at
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/10...15569Rnv.shtml

regards,

Malcolm.

Dan Kap May 12th 09 02:34 PM

Speaker Echo

Thanks for the suggestion, Curious. Not only is there no built-in mic
anywhere, I've ensured that every single audio device, other than the
speakers, is disabled via the control panel. Have rebooted the computer many
times to make sure the changes have taken place.

Dan

Dan Kap May 12th 09 02:36 PM

Speaker Echo

Thanks for the reply, Malcolm. No, haven't contacted Gateway support
yet--and thanks for the link. Figured the quickest solution would be to try
and fix the problem myself first. But I'm sure I'll be resorting to
Gateway's support.

Dan Kap May 12th 09 02:40 PM

Speaker Echo

Thanks for the reply, Gene. What are the "internal speakers," and how do I
manually turn them off? I'll try anything at this point! Via the Control
Panel, I've disabled every sound device the computer offers, other than the
speakers. But your suggestion may be one that I missed.

Manny Weisbord May 12th 09 05:08 PM

Speaker Echo

"Dan Kap" wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Gene. What are the "internal speakers," and how do I
manually turn them off? I'll try anything at this point! Via the Control
Panel, I've disabled every sound device the computer offers, other than the
speakers. But your suggestion may be one that I missed.

I think "Gene" blew that one out of his arse. I've not seen a desktop
with internal speakers EVER.

. ..

Gene E. Bloch May 12th 09 05:53 PM

Speaker Echo

Actually, I accidentally lied to you. Most desktops don't have internal
speakers and most laptops do. You said "desktop" and I didn't notice...

My desktop does have internal speakers, but it's an all-in-one, and like
many of those, it's basically a topologically distorted laptop :-)

Now I'm thinking that the echo is coming from the same speakers that the
main sound is coming from. Is that true?

Re your other comment about disabling every sound device: I have to ask,
are you disabling the *output* devices? Audio controls seem to vary a lot,
but most of them segregate "playback" devices from "recording" devices, and
it's the playback ones you need to turn off. It isn't that I think you
don't know that, it's just that maybe it got overlooked in the heat of the
struggle; which is why I had to say "I have to ask".

Peter Foldes May 12th 09 06:01 PM

Speaker Echo

Every Desktop has an internal speaker Manny. This speaker is not as per say for
listening to music and etc but it is the speaker that formulates the beeps that are
the sounds for an error code. If you open your case you will also see a small 16
inch speaker on the inside of the front panel.

Also Micron manufactured Desktops that had internal speakers for sound installed

--
Peter

"Manny Weisbord" wrote in message
"Dan Kap" wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Gene. What are the "internal speakers," and how do I
manually turn them off? I'll try anything at this point! Via the Control
Panel, I've disabled every sound device the computer offers, other than the
speakers. But your suggestion may be one that I missed.

I think "Gene" blew that one out of his arse. I've not seen a desktop
with internal speakers EVER.

.. .