Please help! Multi-boot option not working anymore

Old May 15th 09, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
SIW2

Default Please help! Multi-boot option not working anymore

q5485;1043544 Wrote:
Hi Chad & SIW2

Many thanks for your suggestions. It finally worked. I now have vista
home premium working on my C: drive.
I entered vistaboot pro on my c: drive and changed the bootloader so
that I have the option of selecting an OS (Vista or XP).

I think I am back to square one, where I started. When I select the XP
system (now listed on D Drive), I see the list of drivers being executed
followed by the Windows logo. After a few seconds, the system crashes
and restarts. In other words, I don't see "Welcome to Windows" on a blue
background. How do I repair the Win XP Pro installation? If you can
help me in that regard, that would be great. I am happy though that I
did get the vista back, and it's all due to your efforts.
Thank you ONCE AGAIN!!!

Also, what are things I can do to prevent such a recurrence? Backups of
what? Any other suggestion that you can think of (in addition to steps
for repairing my xp pro)?

Kash

Hi kash,

Glad you are back in Vista now.

Particularly as you don't have a Vista install dvd, it's a good idea to
make an image of the partition and keep it somewhere safe.

You could keep it on another partition, an external hd is better, if
you have one.

The free version of this will do it very well. Also run off the
recovery cd it prompts you to, as you can boot into that, find the
stored image and restore it.

'Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download'
(http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp)

You can make a new image every so often so it's not too out of date and
delete previous ones if you need the space.

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2