after fresh install, screen Gone blank? what to do?

Old May 13th 09, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Atwork

Default after fresh install, screen Gone blank? what to do?

Got a dell inspron 1525,
Vista had a fit so reformated and started fresh
now screen gone blank?
what the ....
what to do?, does anyone know!
please help...

i'll be ya best friend

--
Atwork
Old May 13th 09, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Malke[_2_]

Atwork wrote:

Got a dell inspron 1525,
Vista had a fit so reformated and started fresh
now screen gone blank?
what the ....
what to do?, does anyone know!
please help...

i'll be ya best friend

What exactly does "Vista had a fit" entail? When does your screen go blank?
Is it a black screen or a white screen? Can you see anything in Safe Mode?

The reason for the questions - aside from that we need more information to
give you focused help - is that you may have a hardware problem.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old May 13th 09, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"Atwork" wrote in message

Got a dell inspron 1525,
Vista had a fit so reformated and started fresh
now screen gone blank?
what the ....
what to do?, does anyone know!
please help...

i'll be ya best friend

--

Hi Atwork--

As Malke says, do the best you can to make sure you don't have a hdw
problem, but here are ways to fix it if its software that take a short
amount of time, none of which break the hdw.

Routine cks would include cooling, hd drive, seating of cards, cable
connections, seating of RAM, etc.

If you need to repair major components of the Vista OS or can't boot, and
don't have a Vista DVD, you can download the .iso from this link and burn
it:

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

1) First try 3 options from Startup Repair. If you have a Vista DVD then
restart with it in the drivepress any key to boot from it and run Startup
Repair. From Startup Repair you have 3 good tools with an excellent chance
of fixing your system. If you don't have a Vista DVD from which to boot to
Startup Repair, no problem, Download the .iso from the link below and
burn it, and you'll have the Microsoft Vista Repair Disk with Startup
Repair.

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

How to Use Startup Repair from the Vista DVD or the Repair Disk you make:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial142.html

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f3f351033.mspx

2) If Startup Repair does not get your Vista back, then use the 3 bootrec
commands from the command prompt available on the Statup Repair Menu:

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...airstartup.htm

Those a

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

3) If my second option doesn't work, then try System restore from the
Startup Repair list.

4) If by rare chance you have an actual Vista DVD, you can put it in, boot
from itchoose the Upgrade Optionchoose your current broken Vista Drive and
try to do a repair install with the Vista DVD.

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

5) If the above 3 tools don't work, then use the 4 tools available by
restarting your pc and tapping F8 once per second to get to the Windows
Advanced Options Menu.

From this menu click on 3 Safe Mode links to use System Restore. Make sure
you try all 3 if one doesn't work, because just one of them may work.
Tap F8 to Reach Windows Advanced Options Menu Pictured Below:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/v...ot-Options.jpg

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command: At the prompt you would type the command to use
for system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If these 3 tools don't work, you have one more you can try which is Last
Known Good Configuration.

Good luck,

CH

Old May 13th 09, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious[_4_]

Atwork,
When you reinstalled the Dell OS after reformatting the OS partition was if
from a separate recovery partition or from a set of recovery DVDs?
Where there any problems indicated on the screen during the installation of
the OS?

Old May 13th 09, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"Atwork" wrote in message

Got a dell inspron 1525,
Vista had a fit so reformated and started fresh
now screen gone blank?
what the ....
what to do?, does anyone know!
please help...

i'll be ya best friend

--
Atwork

I realize now you "formatted." If so I guess that means you didn't use a
Dell Recovery disk or partition. If By started fresh you mean you
reinstalled Vista, please make that clear and go on with the steps I gave
you after checking hdw as best you can.

Best,

CH