Having trouble adding IDE hard drive to SATA setup.

Old May 13th 09, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
obobgurubob

Default Having trouble adding IDE hard drive to SATA setup.

As the title suggests, I am having trouble getting Vista to recognize
the IDE hard drive I am trying to add. I have Vista Home Basic running
off of my SATA HD and want to add IDE as extra storage. I have it all
hooked up, IDE hard drive is set to master on same controller as my DVD
drive, but windows isn't recognizing the HD properly, it recognizes it
as a new drive, but it is coming up as a floppy drive, anyone have any
idea how to remedy this? Will be watching thread for next 20 mins or so,
will keep up on replies and supply additional info if needed.

Please help and thanks!

--
obobgurubob
Old May 13th 09, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
obobgurubob

Well, i got it at least recognizing both disks and can access them both,
but now it boots up EXTREMELY slowly and seems to run slower in general.
Any ideas?

--
obobgurubob
Old May 14th 09, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pupick

Is the drive recognized in the BIOS with the correct size?
Is there a CD/DVD drive sharing the cable with the EIDE hard drive?
Is the BIOS correctly set to recognize which drive to boot from?
Old May 14th 09, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
obobgurubob

I think it is actually coming up at about half its actual size, 127gb
when its a 250gb hard drive. I had a DVD drive sharing the cable, but
could not get it to boot properly, at the moment I have my DVD unplugged
entirely and IDE hard drive set as master. The BIOS has to be set
correctly because I wiped the second hard drive and I can still boot
properly, it just takes FOREVER and my system just seems to be running
slow overall.

--
obobgurubob
Old May 14th 09, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, obobgurubob.

How old is your BIOS?

Until recently - and still for some BIOSes, I think - mixing IDE and SATA
(or SCSI) hard drives was problematic. Some BIOSes insisted on booting from
the IDE drive if one was available, and it was a real challenge to boot from
another installed drive. (Voice of experience.) Is SATA built into your
motherboard, or is it an add-on?

Also, "Big Hard Drives" are relatively new (about 5 years?), and older
BIOSes were limited in the size HDD they could format and see; limited to
about 127 GB. Many of them needed an upgrade to 48-bit address space. I'll
be glad to dig up references if Google can't find them for you.

Please tell us more about your computer hardware and about your BIOS.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old May 14th 09, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
obobgurubob

BIOS should be relatively new, got the computer new less than a year
ago, SATA is built into motherboard and I am running a 300gb HD on SATA,
so it can definitely handle the size. Actually don't remember what type
of motherboard it has in it and dxdiag doesnt say either, used a 3rd
party program and got
"Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 64-0512-000001-00101111-051908-Bearlake$A0968000
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 454 MHz
Effective Clock 454 MHz
Bandwidth 3631 MB/s"
But that isnt much help either.... I know its an ASUS, but I'm not sure
exactly what flavor.

--
obobgurubob
Old May 14th 09, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
obobgurubob

Alright, figured out what kind of MOBO i got, and downloaded BIOS
update, waiting until another full format on IDE HD is done, if I don't
get desired results, will try updating BIOS.

--
obobgurubob
Old May 14th 09, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
obobgurubob

Also noticed that the drive shows the correct amount of space in Disk
Management, just says half of it is unpartitioned (and I can't get it to
partition) will try again after reformatting

--
obobgurubob