Vista crashing, I need a way to know whats wrong

Old May 16th 09, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank Holman[_2_]

Default Vista crashing, I need a way to know whats wrong

"Curious" wrote:

See FAQ in the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx

AHA!! I WAS RIGHT! For a minute there, that "MVP" had me wondering
if I was dreaming.

Quoting from that FAQ:

"When you install the final version of Windows 7, you'll need to do a
clean installation. So plan on backing up your data then reinstalling
your applications and restoring your data."

"Timothy Davis [MSFT]" wrote in message
Are you saying that he won't be able to upgrade to RTM? Why not?

You ARE aware that when the final release comes out, your RC1 setup
will be worthless, right?

Old May 16th 09, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Even worse he is a MSFT employee and not a MVP and was not aware of the RC1
restrictions that have been posted at many websites.

"Frank Holman" wrote in message
news

Old May 16th 09, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank Holman[_2_]

"Curious" wrote:

Even worse he is a MSFT employee and not a MVP and was not aware of the RC1
restrictions that have been posted at many websites.

SHEESH. One of those things that make you go "hmmm....".

Old May 18th 09, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT][_2_]

Whoa there cowboy - be careful about what your statement implies.

As a Microsoft employee involved in working with the hardware ecosystem on
Win7 readiness, I have access to far more information than the external
FAQs. Keep in mind that it is far easier to publicly state that upgrades
won't be supported when they really are, vs the opposite situation.

I am not saying that upgrades from RC to RTM *will* be supported - I just
happen to know why upgrade was blocked from pre-RC to the RC build. This
reason does not apply from RC to RTM.

Old May 18th 09, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

I totally understand why upgrades from the RC to the RTM will not be
supported and that this it is stated in the following link that they will
not. What I don't understand is why as a MSFT employee you are implying
that they may be.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Win.../download.aspx

Old May 19th 09, 02:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Abubakar[_3_]

I totally understand why upgrades from the RC to the RTM will not be

and I seriously doubt that you *totally understand*, having only read the
faq (for heaven's sake)! He just told you that he has access to far more
*technical* information than you or me. While the upgrade may work perfectly
fine but there are like countless tests after which such a thing is decided,
and in this case Microsoft has not allowed it. There may still be some
undocumented switch (on which of course I'm not counting on) which would
allow it.

I can write a lot here but I decided not to. I just hope you learn something
from this post/thread.

...ab

Old May 19th 09, 02:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

I have read material other then the MS FAQs. I just posted the MS FAQ link
and the MS RC Installation instruction link since these contain the official
MS position and plans for the RTM release.
Both of these stated that you will not be able to upgrade from the RC to the
RTM release and I think a MS employee should not be suggesting this is not
true or that a work around such as the ones being discussed on some sites
may be possible even if the employee knows that they may work especially
when they identify themselves as a MS employees in their post since that
implies that they are speaking for the company.
I would like very much like to be able to upgrade my computer with the RC
release when the RTM release comes out since it would save me a lot of work
without trying to fool the RTM release using one of the kludges I have read
about that will make the RTM release think I have Vista installed and not
the RC.