DVD-RW drive problem

Old May 14th 09, 11:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clive in Kent

Default DVD-RW drive problem

Hi Guys,

I recently tried to burn a CD for the first time in a number of months. I'd
always used Roxio software for burning with no real probs but this time I
could not get the drive to recognize the CD-R disk. Decided to delete the
Roxio software and use the built in Windows Vista burning program instead
but kept getting same message asking me to insert a disk. Checked the DVD RW
drive properties and found it was set up ok as a recordable drive. Decided
that the drive must be kaput so I bought a new one. Installed that ok but
still Windows wouldn't recognize any recordable disks of any form that I put
in the drive. Installeed the Nero 8 software that came with the drive and
still have the same problem using that!

Any ideas guys?

Clive in Kent

Old May 14th 09, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Clive.

Bummer!

You've pretty well ruled out hardware problems, software problems, OS
problems. What's left?

Is your DVD drive internal? IDE/SATA/Other? Or external: USB? To a hub
or directly to the mobo connector? Or? Make and model might tell us
something.

Maybe we're down to looking for a PEBCAK error? (Problem Exists Between
Chair And Keyboard - in other words, Operator Error) Since it was your
first try "in a number of months", perhaps you just forgot how to do it on
your computer? (That has happened to me more than once. Just a week or two
ago, I tried repeatedly to burn a new build of Win7 over the old one - and
then realized it was on a DVD-R, not an RW. The RW worked, first try.)

During those months, did you make any other hardware changes?

I've had a few cases when one laser burned out, but not the other. Maybe
the write laser but not the read, or the DVD laser but not the CD. Since
you installed a new drive, that's not likely the case, but such things do
happen.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old May 14th 09, 02:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clive in Kent

"R. C. White" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your response.

It's an IDE drive connected direct to MB. I wish it was just my senility but
I'm afraid not. I certainly haven't forgotten how to burn a disc! I load the
disk in the drive (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD +/-, dvd-RW whatever) it just does not
recognise any blank recordable disk. It will read CD roms, audio CDs & DVD
roms.

No other major hardware changes made.

TIA

Clive in Kent

Old May 14th 09, 04:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Did you try both putting in the blank before you tried to write to it and
waiting to put it in till the writing software asked for it?

Old May 15th 09, 08:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clive in Kent

"Curious" wrote in message
Did you try both putting in the blank before you tried to write to it and
waiting to put it in till the writing software asked for it?

"Clive in " cliverholdenremove wrote in message

Yes have done both!

Clive in Kent

Old May 15th 09, 12:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Have you tried different power and interface cables?
Does everything appear normal in device manager?

Old May 15th 09, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clive in Kent

"Curious" wrote in message
Have you tried different power and interface cables?
Does everything appear normal in device manager?

"Clive in " cliverholdenremove wrote in message

As the drive powers up ok and it reads CD & DVD roms and audio CDs Ok I
would presume that the cables are OK.

Yes everything is normal in device manager.

Clive in Kent

Old May 16th 09, 01:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes

Clive

This is a known problem that arises with the removal of the Roxio software.

Use the below fix for this issue. Before the re-worded this MS KB it used to say
that one of the causes was the removal of the Roxio software

Peter

Old May 18th 09, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clive in Kent

"Peter Foldes" wrote in message
Clive

This is a known problem that arises with the removal of the Roxio
software.

Use the below fix for this issue. Before the re-worded this MS KB it used
to say that one of the causes was the removal of the Roxio software

Peter

"Clive in Kent @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message

Many thanks Peter. Seems to have done the trick!

Kind regards

Clive in Kent