Vista Banter

-   -   Setting Up A New Partition (http://www.vistabanter.com/162512-setting-up-new-partition.html)

Jim in Spokane May 16th 09 08:09 PM

Setting Up A New Partition

I have a new eMachine D620-5133, Model No. MS2257, which is made by Acer.
The operating system is Window Vista Home Basic SP-1 and it has a 32-bit
operating system. I am trying to connect the hard drive from my old Dell
with Windows 98 to my new computer. The old hard drive is made by Western
Digital and does not have a jumper setting. I bought an Airlink101 3.5” USB
2.0 SATA/IDE HDD Enclosure, Model AEN-U35SE to accomplish the connection.
The salesman told me not to worry about the jumper setting. Everything went
fine, but nothing shows up under “My Computer.” The instructions from
Airlink said if this happens, I should go to Control Panel / Administrative
Tools / Disk Management and right click on the unallocated disk and select
“New Partition.” The old hard drive shows up as a new unallocated disk,
which is exactly what is suppose to happen. Everything looks like the
example, except that when I right click on the unallocated disk the option of
“New Partition” does not show up, so I’m dead in the water. I’m guessing I
need to set up a “new partition.” Does anybody have any idea how to do that?
Or does anybody have any idea how to solve my problem?

R. C. White May 18th 09 03:51 PM

Setting Up A New Partition

Hi, again, Jim.

Please see responses to your apparently-identical post.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Jim in Spokane May 19th 09 02:44 AM

Setting Up A New Partition

I am responding to my own posting. I took the enclosure back to the store,
and the fellow there knew immediately what the problem was. In order to make
the enclosure work it is first necessary to disable Norton GoBack. As soon
as I did this, everything worked fine. Thanks to all who responded.