Formats vs Codecs

Old May 18th 09, 12:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
KRK

Default Formats vs Codecs

hello,

It seems to me that the most important factor in videos is the codec. Why
then do software companies advertise the formats ( .avi etc ) that they
support ? Movie maker 'supports' .avi, but doesnt play .avi files with
certain codecs.

Is there something I don't understand, or are we being misled ?

Why are there so many codecs ?

Old May 18th 09, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer[_2_]

KRK wrote:
hello,

It seems to me that the most important factor in videos is the codec.
Why then do software companies advertise the formats ( .avi etc )
that they support ? Movie maker 'supports' .avi, but doesnt play .avi
files with certain codecs.

Is there something I don't understand, or are we being misled ?

Why are there so many codecs ?

..avi is simply a wrapper...there are several hundred
variations.

The free utility GSpot can help you identify the codec
that was used to create an .avi file:

GSpot
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

The .avi that is compatible with Movie Maker is DV-AVI.

Why so many? I guess each developer has their own ideas.

Movie Maker 2 -
Importing AVI Files
http://tinyurl.com/2nncyj
or...
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Importing-Video-AVI.html

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old May 20th 09, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn[_2_]

You're being 'marketed to'... not necessarily 'mislead'. The two can be
pretty close to each other.
--
PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org