On remote Vista computers, some files just don't show up

Old May 18th 09, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
David Deley

Default On remote Vista computers, some files just don't show up

On remote Vista computers I am able see only 99.3% of the files. Some
files just don't show up. All files are under the "Public" directory.
Out of 66,524 files and 12,881 directories, 99 files don't show up, and
3 complete directories don't show up.

I searched Google and all I found are other people with the same
problem. No one has an explanation for it.

It's very consistent. I repeated the directory listing over my home
network from computer DAVE to computer SUE four times and got exactly
the same result each time.

I can't find any pattern to it. It doesn't appear to be the file
extension, file attributes, file privileges, file size, file date,... I
got nothing.

Extensions of missing files include:
..bmp
..CSV
..dmg
..dvr-ms
..exe
..EXE
..hqx
..jpg
..lnk
..mew
..msi
..tar.gz
..zip

For all extensions there are numerous examples of files which DO show up
correctly, with the exception of:
.dmg - only 1 file total exists
.dvr-ms - only 3 files total exist
.hqx - only 1 file total exists

Same files are missing when viewing SUE directory from any of my 5 other
home computers on local home network.

I also get missing files if I look over network to any of my other Vista
computers. e.g. from computer DAVE looking over network to computer CAT
also gives me a few missing files (though they are different files).

1. Tried disabling Norton Anti-Virus on both computers.
2. Tried temporarily uninstalling Norton Anti-Virus on both computers.
(There is no other protection besides Norton AV.)
3. Tried booting into "Safe Mode with Networking." Well, it says "with
Networking", but network not working. Fiddled with msconfig a bit.
4. Set msconfig to boot loading only Microsoft services. Booted both
computers with only Microsoft services loading.

Still get same result. Same files missing.

If I make a copy of the file, the copy is visible, but the original
still doesn't show up.

PARTIAL ANSWER?
examining the permissions of files which don't show up, I noticed on
many of them the inheritance box is unchecked:

Right-click on file -- Properties -- Security(tab), Advanced(button),
Edit(button), "Include inheritable permissions from this object's
parent" checkbox. (That checkbox is buried deep!)

Is there some way to search for and correct all files which don't have
the inheritance box checked?