Shrink Space

Old May 19th 09, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
openthelocks1

Default Shrink Space

How to increase the shrink space.
I have lenovo Y410. Its hard Drive is partitioned in three parts: 20 GB
C Drive - primary drive where i have my OS, one of 117 GB D drive just
another partition for data and one more 10 GB for recovery.
What i need is to shrink D drive to 107 GB and create a new drive of
about 10 GB.
but the problem is that disk management says that it can only be
shrinked to about 2.6 GB ----So what to do....plz tell me. By the image
u can see the disk management system. Its the D drive i need to
shrink.[image: http://openthelocks1.googlepages.com/query.jpg]

--
openthelocks1
Old May 19th 09, 11:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mark H[_2_]

Or, you can simply try the following if you don't want to buy third party
softwa

Make a full backup.
Make sure your pagefile is set to drive C: (This is typical)
Turn off Recycle Bin for drive D:
Turn off restore on drive D:

Now, resize the drive.
Turn restore back on for drive D:
Turn on Recycle Bin for drive D:

If this still proves difficult, set the pagefile to minimum (16MB), reboot
and try again. Then, set the pagefile back to automatic.

Restore files, garbage and pagefiles, for whatever reason, like to place
themselves at the top end of a drive partition making it difficult to change
the size. There are other "unmovable" system files that may put themselves
in this area, but not typically on a data drive. But, I've found this works
for the C: drive as well.

Old May 20th 09, 08:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
openthelocks1

thanx Mark,
but it didnt work.
still the same 2618MB space can be shrinked.
if anybody could provide some more solutions.....plz....

--
openthelocks1
Old May 20th 09, 11:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mark H[_2_]

Sorry to hear that.
Now, I'll become one of "them" for a moment as I state, "It worked for me."

So, here's some additional details that I probably should have mentioned:
Turning off System Restore does not remove the unmovable file. You must use
Disk Cleanup to remove it. (System Restore and Shadow Copies)

I didn't think about it, but being a Lenovo, you are probably working with a
laptop with a hibernation file also setup.
Running Disk Cleanup will give you the option to temporarily remove this
file.