Battery plugged in, not charging

Old May 19th 09, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pigeon-wing

Default Battery plugged in, not charging

I'm running Windows Vista on a Gateway NX570X laptop. About a year after
I bought it, it slid off the table and bent the connecter for the
original AC adapter, so I bought a new adapter online. It's an off-brand
adapter, but the voltage outputs and inputs are the same as my old
adapter, and it charged the battery fine for about two months. Then the
battery started charging halfway and then less and less until finally it
reached 0% available (plugged in, not charging). Now, this still wasn't
an immediate problem for me because my laptop is stationary most of the
time; however, since last October the adapter has had to be plugged in
at a certain angle or it won't power the laptop at all, and now it has
taken to shutting off randomly or whenever the connecter is nudged.
Highlights:

* Gateway NX570X laptop with Windows Vista
* Off-brand AC adapter worked for about two months before malfunctions
began
* Battery life reads 0% available (plugged in, not charging)
* Adapter must be inserted into the laptop at just the right angle to
turn it on
* Computer shuts down randomly, ranging between minutes, hours, and
days after starting it up

I have tried:

* Removing and replacing the battery while the computer was on and off
* Reinstalling Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery

I contacted one of Gateway's online reps about the matter, but he told
me to jiggle the battery before instructing me to buy a new one (then he
closed the chat). Is this definitely a battery problem? I don't have
much money to spend, so I'm not sure whether to spend it on a new
battery, a new AC adapter, or on taking it to a repair shop (if my small
town even has a reputable computer repair shop); or whether this might
be a problem with Vista.

Thanks!

--
pigeon-wing
pigeon-wing's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/99680.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 19th 09, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

pigeon-wing wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the very clear and thorough explanation of your issue. I'm
sorry to tell you this but I don't think it is a battery problem at all. I
think you damaged the charger component on the motherboard. If the computer
is under warranty, contact Gateway tech support to replace the motherboard.
If the computer isn't under warranty, I'm afraid replacing the motherboard
will be quite expensive. You can find out how expensive by calling Gateway.

I have heard of people fixing this if they have good skills with a soldering
iron, and if it's a question of that or replacing the entire motherboard it
might be a viable alternative. After all, if they destroy the motherboard
in the process you're not any worse off than you are now. You'd need to
call around and find someone who is truly skilled in laptop repair,
including soldering, and not just saying they are to have a hope of this
working.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old May 20th 09, 01:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

As Malke said, you have damaged the power jack on your laptop. Most mfg's
will refuse to fix this under warranty as it is considered abuse, they don't
break on their own. I have replaced many of those for my clients, if you can
find a reputable shop you can get it fixed for a fraction of the cost of a
new logic board, keeping in mind that all of the use it had after it broke,
it's possible that arching as been occurring and this may have damaged the
board beyond repair, only way to know if it's fixable is to crack it open.

news

Old May 21st 09, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pigeon-wing[_2_]

Thanks so, so much for the quick replies! I found 'this guide'
(http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-a...ssembly-guide/)
recently and hoped that wasn't my problem, but thank you for confirming
my fears and saving me the time and money I would have wasted
experimenting with different batteries and adapters. My warranty expired
a year ago, so I guess my only option is saving up and finding a good
repair shop. This may seem like a silly question, but if I take it to a
shop to have the motherboard repaired, do I run the risk of losing the
data on my hard drive? Or are these two things completely unrelated?

Again, thank you!

Old May 21st 09, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

[...]

The only direct link will between the repair and losing everything will be
the store where it is repaired..

Copy your important data if you can. It may involve removing the hard drive
and connecting it to another machine..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/