partitioning

Old May 26th 09, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
elfiidler[_7_]

Default partitioning

hi,
i would like to create a partition on my hd.
I have 2 drives- a recovery drive with 10 gigs and a normal c: drive
with 140 gigs and 55 gigabyte spare. i want to make a partition on my c:
drive of 27 gigs to install ubuntu but every method i try doesnt
work.
i tried left clicking on "computer" and clicking manage,then disk
management and left clicking on the drive i want to shrink and clicking
shrink volume but it says "there is not enough memory to complete the
operation. save your work,close the other programs and try again." i
closed everything and tried again but still no luck. i tried using
acronis disk director and yet again still no luck. i tried freeing more
space off my hd and deleted 3 gigs and tried again but still no luck !
i am very confused because i have nearly 60 gigs free space yet it
still wont work !
please help and many thanks in advance .
ps. im running vista home premium 34 bit

--
elfiidler

Old May 26th 09, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
elfiidler[_8_]

I also thought i should add that i have just deleted another 12 gigs of
space to see if it helps and it still wont work.
thanks.

--
elfiidler

Old May 26th 09, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
trouble

Although Vista has a built in method to change the size of your partitions
and create new ones I strongly recommend you do not do this if you do not
understand, as appears to be the case how partitions work.
You also simply do not have enough hard drive space. If you are serious
about this you need a second hard drive; if you are working on a laptop the
forget the whole idea.
Even if you create a new partition and install Ubuntu you are more likely
than not to lose access to your Vista installation because Ubuntu will
install its own boot loader and Ubuntu may well entirely wipe out your
Vista installation because Ubuntu requires a different file system than
Vista and may see your Vista installation as a swell place to create a swap
drive.
This has happened to many users trying to install Ubuntu for a dual boot
setup.
If you want to try Ubuntu you can boot from the installation disc and Ubuntu
will configure itself to work on your machine, providing it has drivers for
your particular system, which it does for most Intel/AMD machines. Once you
toy with the built in Firefox and Open Office you will probably never use
the disc again.
Ubuntu/Linux is a usable alternative to Windows or the Mac OS if you do not
require a particular shrink-wrapped product, for example Photoshop, and are
willing to learn to use its complex command line interface, an onerous
reality that is unavoidable if you rely on any form of Linux. The truth is
that many Linux programs are simply not as user friendly as Win/Apple
alternatives because they are freeware and do not need to be.

Old May 26th 09, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
elfiidler[_9_]

trouble;1264485 Wrote:
[...]

I dont understand !
do you mean i shouldn't bother making a partition and just booting from
the cd and ubuntu will automatically do it itself and create a dual boot
or do you mean that if i want linux i should boot from the cd and
install but it will remove my vista

--
elfiidler

Old May 28th 09, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Donald McDaniel[_4_]

Microsoft's suggested method for dualbooting requires that you install
legacy OSes FIRST. Install Ubuntu, then Microsoft Vista (or Win7 RC)

Windows will then create a boot menu with both OSes on it

Donald McDaniel