Folder management in the User areas

Old May 26th 09, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ted Smith[_2_]

Default Folder management in the User areas

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am fairly new to Vista. I noticed that
within each User area there are 8 folders that are not accessible and seem
to serve no purpose. They each have a yellow icon that has an arrow that
points up and to the right. They a Application Data, Cookies, Local
Settings, NetHood, PrintHood, SendTo, Start Menu, Templates
Can these folders just be deleted without hurting anything?

Also, there are some folders with blue icons that I will never use, like
Music, Pictures, Saved Games and Videos. Can I delete these?

Finally, the rest of the folders with blue icons look like they are system
related and should be left alone. But I need a place for my business
documents and the "Documents" folder seems to be full of system junk that I
would not want in the same place I put my business stuff. What is the real
purpose of that folder, and should I make a brand new folder for the
documents I create myself?

Ted Smith

Old May 26th 09, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tim Slattery

"Ted Smith" wrote:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am fairly new to Vista. I noticed that
within each User area there are 8 folders that are not accessible and seem
to serve no purpose. They each have a yellow icon that has an arrow that
points up and to the right. They a Application Data, Cookies, Local
Settings, NetHood, PrintHood, SendTo, Start Menu, Templates
Can these folders just be deleted without hurting anything?

No.

Also, there are some folders with blue icons that I will never use, like
Music, Pictures, Saved Games and Videos. Can I delete these?

No. All of these are part of a user profile.

Finally, the rest of the folders with blue icons look like they are system
related and should be left alone. But I need a place for my business
documents and the "Documents" folder seems to be full of system junk that I
would not want in the same place I put my business stuff. What is the real
purpose of that folder, and should I make a brand new folder for the
documents I create myself?

How about using the "My Documents" folder?

Creating your own folder would work fine.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(Shell/User)

http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
Old May 26th 09, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
H Brown[_2_]

No, you need to stop.
You have set your folder options to show hidden folders files but also
protected system files. Because you ask the question about deleting these
files is why they are hidden and protected, to keep user who don't know what
they are doing from screwing up their systems. That so they can spend their
time using the programs and applications and other software apps to
accomplish some work/task.

Click on Start, in the search box type Folder Options. At the top of the
start menu you will see under programs, Folder Options, click it, the
folders dialog will open, under the View Tab scroll down and under Hidden
files and folders select "Do not show hidden files and folders" , scroll
down find check box for "Hide protected operation system files (Recommended)
and put a check in that box. Now click on the Apply button then click on
the OK button at bottom. Now you want see these files or folders that you
have no business in when it comes to using a computer. Most people that use
computers to get work done everyday can use their computers for their life
time and never need to know how or get into the system folders and files.

When you click on the user account in the start menu you should see 11
bluish folders, these are your user folders for that account. Use your
bluish Document folder for all document *type* extensions. Create your
subfolders and even folders in subfolder for categorizing your files in the
Document folder.
That can be said for the rest of the folders in user folders. Each is or
should be used for particular file type extortions for best results. As for
as deleting any of these bluish folders , if I were you I would not use
anything other than all defaults in Vista. If you want to play around with
in a user account with personalization and any other setting that will not
change things for every other account on this computer you might be ok for
awhile and maybe then the account you operate out of will be the only one
messed up.
You need to run as a standard user and I don't care if you are the only one
using the computer. You need to back your work everyday to an external
source. Don't change anything if you have to guess as to what would happen.
Research and learn.

Some people say: Its my computer and I can change anything I want because I
want to. Of course that is a true statement. Its yours. That being said,
I told you what I think, now you go ahead and screw it up anyway you want
to.

H Brown

Old June 24th 15, 11:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

Will that work for the HTC desire. I want to put all my photo apps and camera apps in one sort box, like Google does for all Google stuff. All game on anoth and so on. I hate hunting for apps it makes me bat**** crazy lol