Change floppy drive assignment from B: to A:

Old June 8th 09, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
propman[_3_]

Default Change floppy drive assignment from B: to A:

M Skabialka wrote:
There isn't a floppy drive in Disk Management on my Vista Ultimate computer
either, which is why I posed the question here!
Mich

Just a thought here........

Cut and pasted from "Windows Help and Support":

quote on

Microsoft Management Console: standard and optional snap-ins
This topic provides you with information about the common administration
and troubleshooting tasks and tools associated with Microsoft Management
Console (MMC) and MMC snap-ins.

Common tasks

Useful tools

Downloads

Deployment

Operations

Technical reference

Common tasks
Some MMC snap-ins require elevated privileges to function properly.

To open MMC with elevated privileges, click Start, click All Programs,
click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then point to Run as
administrator. In the command prompt that opens, type mmc.exe.

Some MMC snap-ins are only available after certain additional features
have been installed.

To install additional features
Open Control Panel and click Programs.

In Installed Programs, click Turn on or off Windows features. If the
User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it
displays is what you want, and then click Continue.

Select the checkboxes for features you want to install. (Clear
checkboxes for features you want to uninstall.)

Click OK.

Useful tools
This section describes the Microsoft Web site downloads and tools
associated with this version of Windows that help you configure and
manage MMC and snap-ins.

Disk Management

snipped for brevity

quote off

Might be worth taking a peek at. :-)

Old June 8th 09, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

M Skabialka,
Does your BIOS show a floppy drive connected and enabled?

Old June 8th 09, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom Lake[_2_]

"M Skabialka" wrote in message
There isn't a floppy drive in Disk Management on my Vista Ultimate
computer either, which is why I posed the question here!
Mich

Have you checked your BIOS settings? Some have a Swap Floppy Drive Letter
option

Tom Lake

Old June 15th 09, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
M Skabialka

I finally rebooted - I have an A: drive and no B: drive. Thanks for the
help!
Mich

"PaulB" wrote in message
Start Regedit and find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.

Under that you will see a \DosDevices\B:
Select the entry and press F2 (or Rt click and choose rename)
Rename to \DosDevices\A: (i.e change the B to an A)
Reboot and you should be good.

As always if you make a mistake in the registry your system could become
unusable so use caution. I would backup that key or at least have a
restore
point that you could use.
--
Paul

"M Skabialka" wrote:

I built myself a computer a couple of years ago and have Vista Ultimate
on
it. Recently I went to create a floppy disk for maintenance on another
computer and found that the floppy drive (which I haven't used before) is
labeled as the B drive. How do I change that back to A? Right now I am
using
subst a: "b:"
which works for now but would rather set it permanently.