Vista Banter

-   -   HD's going to sleep / power settings adjusted (http://www.vistabanter.com/163592-hds-going-sleep-power-settings-adjusted.html)

Lynkdev May 31st 09 09:22 PM

HD's going to sleep / power settings adjusted

I have my power setting set to high performance and also the HD sleep is
set to never. Still though after 10 mins of not using the comp, the HD's
go to sleep and it takes like 10 secs for my computer to load the hard
drives after waiting for them to start up again.

Am i doing something wrong?

--
Lynkdev

Richard Urban May 31st 09 11:21 PM

HD's going to sleep / power settings adjusted

Did you reboot after making your changes? Sometimes it helps.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Lynkdev May 31st 09 11:42 PM

HD's going to sleep / power settings adjusted

yes i have multiple times, i havnt changed anything since. Are there any
command line procedures to do this or should i just try to fiddle with
the power settings again?

thanks

RalfG[_3_] June 1st 09 02:20 PM

"Lynkdev" wrote in message

I have my power setting set to high performance and also the HD sleep is
set to never. Still though after 10 mins of not using the comp, the HD's
go to sleep and it takes like 10 secs for my computer to load the hard
drives after waiting for them to start up again.

Am i doing something wrong?

--
Lynkdev

There are more settings available for each of the power plans. Click on
"Change Plan settings" and then click the link for "Change advanced power
settings". In the list of settings you'll see a Hard Disk section with
options to "Turn off hard disk after" xMinutes for either Battery or Plugged
in.

Click on either one of those settings to get the time selector box and then
scroll down the time setting value to the bottom until it says "Never".
That should hopefully fix you up.

Timothy Davis [MSFT][_2_] June 1st 09 08:59 PM

HD's going to sleep / power settings adjusted

It may also be the hard drive itself, or the BIOS, telling the HD to sleep.

What kind of hard drive is it? Internal SATA? External eSATA? 1394?
etc...

Tae Song June 1st 09 11:24 PM

"Lynkdev" wrote in message

I have my power setting set to high performance and also the HD sleep is
set to never. Still though after 10 mins of not using the comp, the HD's
go to sleep and it takes like 10 secs for my computer to load the hard
drives after waiting for them to start up again.

Am i doing something wrong?

--
Lynkdev

The hard drive may have it's own sleep timer. What is the make and model of
the hard drive?

Curious[_4_] June 2nd 09 12:23 AM

HD's going to sleep / power settings adjusted

Some HDD vendors make drives made specifically for large corporate Raid
systems that do have their own spin down logic and these are different
drives than are normally available for retail customers.

Lynkdev June 15th 09 11:08 PM

HD's going to sleep / power settings adjusted

I have two internal WD raptor SATAS on RAID 0 and one 1TB Seagate
internal SATA. I have also changed the advanced setting under power and
still nothing..

--
Lynkdev